F-Class

Bob,
Roger that.
I'm scheduled to shoot with a group of snipers/former snipers, both Army and Marine, the last weekend of this month at a private 1,000 yard range that I got us access to. I'll try to take pictures of the day's festivities.

BuffaloBob

go to www.6mmbr.com and look at guns of the week. Do a search for an article on "Froggy" and his bipod shooting technique. He is really one of the premier bipod shooter and wrote a good article on his technique. http://www.6mmbr.com/TacticalFroggyA1.html

Also if you know the MV of your gun, you can go to www.windcharts.com and order a custom 4 rosette wind chart for your gun for $20. ie 600, 800, 900 and 1000 yards

got to get my RSO card recert for Quantico and I will shoot and help Willie run some of the other matches.

Just built a M40A1 replica with USMC M40 trade in stock, 1970 action and Rock 11.25 twist and M24 contour with match chamber. only got it back 4 days before this match, so did not have time to work loads up.

The VA 1000 yard will be hosting the IBS 1000 yard Nationals this year at Quantico labor day weekend. About $20-30K in door prizes and winner prizes. Get that 6BR barrel working and come out and shoot.

BH

[ QUOTE ]

F-Class is prone centerfire rifle. There is no national sanctioning body for it like in benchrest. It seems to be a name you call something when a bunch of people want to get together and shoot a while. The NRA published some rules for about 5 or 6 different variations of F-class which include short range, medium and long range and then Palma style (what we did).

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah... kinda sorta. The NRA is the de facto sanctioning body as evidenced by they are the ones putting out the rules! F-Class is a sub-category of NRA High Power, normally shot as a separate match alongside conventional Prone matches. Pretty much any match format that is valid for conventional Prone can be used for F-class as well (and there are a handful). As of 01/01/07, the gun & shooter classifications are official.

Several years back (ok, maybe a couple severals) I was a varmint hunter living in western Nebraska. Opportunities to shoot as far as I could imagine abounded, as did targets. F-Class sounded kind of cool, but there were literally no nearby clubs of any sort that even shot HP, much less this new-fangled 'F-Class'. Then I moved to Washington state. Far fewer varmints, and a little harder to find open land to shoot on (mostly private land and too many people here-n-there) though it was possible. High Power, however, was alive and going strong. Still no F-class, though. Some clubs would let a person shoot 'front-supported' (bipod only, no rear support) but they kind of looked down their noses at ya if you did it more than once or twice. So, I transitioned to conventional HP. I shoot a little Across the Course w/ a Service Rifle AR, some conventional Prone w/ my Palma gun (now a switch barrel w/ a 6mm BR tube)... and F-Class whenever I get the chance.

Some of the old-time Prone shooters still look at us a little funny at matches, but it's getting so there are enough of us (F-Classers) that they aren't openly snotty anymore. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Somewhere along the line I ended up as the F-Class/Tactical chair-person for the state rifle & pistol association (trust me, it was one of those deals where everybody else took the step backwards and I wasn't smart enough to follow suit!), so I have some experience answering questions on F-Class. If you have any questions, I'll answer them as best I can, or try to point you in the direction of someone who can answer them.

In the mean time, here are some links to more information:

Long-range.com (forum on Long-range HP, both conventional and F-Class - many top competitors hang out here)

U.S. F-Class team site

WSRPA F-Class page The meager page I have up on the state associations site. Has some FAQ's on things I get asked a *lot*.

HTH,

Monte

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.