stevens 200 action build

straightshooter

Would a stevens 200 long action 30-06 hold and feed 308 winchester rounds with 175 gr sierra match bullets seated out on a long throat chambered barrel? I reload for my shooting partner who has a blown out full custom remington 700 308. Only problem, when I go to reload any high bc bullets and try to get them close to the lands, the darn things don't fit in the detachable mag. When I build my rifle, I plan to chamber it in a 308 winchester as well, since I have all the reloading gear, and this will be my first build project. I decided to build my practice rifle first to see how it works out, and do not want to run into the same problem (I plan to build the stevens 200 action long range on a budget, suggested on this sight). Also I would like to know what factory actions rate as the strongest, and mostly stiffest, for my future long range elk rifle cambered in the 338 edge caliber. Any thoughts or suggestions on either build are welcome!

The 308 will feed fine from a long action previously chamberd in 30-06 , the US Army's sniper rifle system (the M-24 anyway) is a long action Rem 700. I built a couple 308's on long action just becuase I was wanting to shoot the 175-190 gr Bergers and seat them way out.
Also for years Savage made the 308 on long action with no troubles.

I say go for it and don't look back.

As far as action being the stiffest from the factory , I'd say that its close between the Weatherby Vanguard/Howa and the Winchester M-70. , the Weatherby MK-V is probably in their somplace but its fat bolt I feel reduces some of its "stiffness"
But unless your haning some realy fat , long barrel off of it the Stevens and Rem round action asre plenty stiff enough.

The "strongest" as far as whay can be loaded in them I would say is is so close between the Savage/Steven , Rem 700 and Howa/Vanguard that by the time it came to blow one up they would all likely be having some very serious troubles. , the lugs on all of them are very close is size that the lugs are what takes the abuse.

But again , I find myself saying this more and more , if your going to be buying an action to build on and you plan to have it built correctly with a full action blueprint , save yourself , your smith and your wallet some trouble and order a custom action from Pheonix machine

I know that Rugers aren't the first choice for a build project with poor availability of after market parts, but how do their actions stack up for stiffness? I have a Ruger 308 Hawkeye stainless that I am considering making into my go to spot and stock mountain rifle. It shows great accuracy potential already even with the factory barrel. I am thinking of a Boyds thumbhole stock with an after market barrel. The trigger has already been done. I love mauser style actions, and am very pleased with the Ruger so far, just hate the stock and short thin 22" noodle out front.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.