Newbie Questions: Stevens Stock

smallbutfierce

Just got a Model 200 stevens in .25-06, and after all my reading on here I realize that this flimsy thing won't be on the gun for long. Once I buy my range finder I probably will have exhausted my hunting budget for a little bit(plus it is hunting season) so was wondering if anyone has modified the factory stock in any way to improve upon it. Stiffened it up, made it heavier, etc. I was thinking that the area around the barrel was too close to the barrel, so maybe carving/sanding it down some would be good. Just seeing what other have done. I saw a .204 somewhere that had the front of the stock shortened a bunch and cut down to fully float the barrel. Looked pretty sharp and got rid of the flexibility issue.

Definitely sand away any part of the stock that is in contact with your barrel.

In order to stabilize the stock, consider filling in voids in the stock with epoxy and steel rods or lead shot. Also, check out youtube for how-to's on bedding your action into the stock. Do not pay anyone to bed your rifle as the stock is not worth it unless you do the work yourself.

Yes sir you can upgrade that stock I did! I bedded an arrow shaft in the forend, the filled the rest of the forearm with bondo. (of course make sure the barrel is still free floated) I filled the hollow buttstock with expanding foam, not sure if that was a great idea but I don't see any issue there. I also reworked the grip areas with bondo and gave it a better texture. Also bedded the action. Then it got a better paint job, cuz this stock is UGLY:D It'll do until I can get the money to order a better stock:rolleyes:

Here is mine

IMG_4435.jpg

IMG_4436.jpg

Yes sir you can upgrade that stock I did! I bedded an arrow shaft in the forend, the filled the rest of the forearm with bondo. (of course make sure the barrel is still free floated) I filled the hollow buttstock with expanding foam, not sure if that was a great idea but I don't see any issue there. I also reworked the grip areas with bondo and gave it a better texture. Also bedded the action. Then it got a better paint job, cuz this stock is UGLY:D It'll do until I can get the money to order a better stock:rolleyes:

Arrow shafts and bondo...bada$$

Haha thank you! The forend still flexes more than I would like but is WAY better than it was out of the box!

Next mod will be adding a homemade adjustable cheek piece made from kydex!

You can stiffin the stock up a little but you have to get behind the recoil lug for best results. The other thing that works better for me is to lessen the leverage and move the bipod stud back a couple of inches.

Glensdogs%20040.jpg

What scope rail is that? Been looking and all the gun stores tell me that they don't make a rail for the stevens. Clearly they do. I am definitely gonna polish this turd. Only got out to 50yds they first time I shot it and I put three bullets in the same hole off the bipod and a shaky table. I imagine I will get a decent performer out of it after the bedding.

Thanks for all the replies.

Mach V: is there another lug location in the stock? I haven't taken mine apart, but I think I remember seeing a picture and about 4" back there is another round spot to put the lug? That rifle is the one I was referring to, looks pretty sharp with the shorter stock. How is the balance with it that short? Thanks.

What scope rail is that? Been looking and all the gun stores tell me that they don't make a rail for the stevens. Clearly they do. I am definitely gonna polish this turd. Only got out to 50yds they first time I shot it and I put three bullets in the same hole off the bipod and a shaky table. I imagine I will get a decent performer out of it after the bedding.

Thanks for all the replies.

If you are talking about my gun that is a Weaver tactical rail. For savage short actions with 20moa. I think (and correct me if I'm wrong) most savage model 10 parts will fit the stevens rifles.

Mach V: is there another lug location in the stock? I haven't taken mine apart, but I think I remember seeing a picture and about 4" back there is another round spot to put the lug? That rifle is the one I was referring to, looks pretty sharp with the shorter stock. How is the balance with it that short? Thanks.

If memory serves there is another casting spot but all I did was drill the hole where I wanted it and put a flatwasher and locknut on it and then bedded it in. This unit Started out life as a 223 Stevens and then I installed a 204 Savage barrel on it,cut and painted the stock. The ballance is great with a sporter barrel but a varmint profile you can not move the bipod stud as far back.

7-6-08%20Glens%20007.jpg

I'm 6'1" and find I dont use a lot of forarm on most guns so it doesnt bother me to cut them off. Got offered more han I had into this unit and the 204 barrel was too fickle for my likeing so I sold it figureing I would replace it later.
The replacement came in the form of a Savage Axis in 25-06. So far the only mods I've made to the Axis is to open the barrel channel and lighten the trigger. The only time the stock flex bothers me is when its real hot out, other wise if you open the barrel channel a bit the flex is more of a mental thing then a real problem. The 25-06 shot alright (MOA or less) but I just couldnt resist putting a Shaw 6.5-284 sporter barrel on it.
Just like the Savage and Stevens they all will take the same scope rail depending on long or short action.....I've put a few EGW rails on my heavy barreled units but prefer to keep them light 2 peice units for the sporter barrels. They also all take the same barrel depending on if its a standard action or large action thread.

Thanks guys! I will definitely be doing this in a month or so. Deer season starts this weekend and I will not be able to do anything except open the stock up before then. I shot it today, about 50 rds or so. I carved some plastic that obstructed my dollar bill test and seemed alright. 1st three shots were about .5" at 100yds. They opened up after that. I am not sure if that is due to fouling in the new barrel, but they remained about 1.5" for the duration of my 100yd shooting. Took it out to 260 yards and hit 2 4" groups. Used the strelok app for android to find holdover, and guessed with the wind, which was pretty stout. This isn't far really, but my goal is to hit milk jugs at "500 yds before I try to shoot yotes at that far. More trigger time and I am sure I will be there.

I modified my Stevens .223 stock using a carbon fiber arrow cut into two pieces. Epoxied them side by side after removing channels for them. Significantly stiffened up the forend enough for <1 MOA groups. I have yet to bed the action.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.