Newbie Rifle Questions

cgshoots

I'm new to long range shooting, and have been looking at rifles for a few weeks. I wanted to try and get some feedback from actual shooters so I joined these forums for help. I started out looking at the Seekins Havak Bravo, Bergara Ridgeline and DD Delta 5. Also have researched glass like Vortex, Nightforce and others in the $2k price range. I decided I didn't want to spend $4k+ on my first setup so that led me to looking at cheaper options like the Bergara B14 HMR and Browning Max Long Range with something like Vortex Viper PST Gen2 glass to go on it. A setup like that is roughly half of what I started out looking at and I'm leaning to going that direction but wanted some more feedback from actual shooters.

To sum all that up, I'd like recommendations for a roughly $2k setup including glass, and same on a $4k setup like mentioned above. Im not a pro but I can work on my guns some. I've built a couple AR's and repair my older shotguns when I have issues myself, so building one might not be out of the question. Any input appreciated!

Buy once, cry once. Especially in the glass department. Maybe compromise, get a $1k rifle with a $2k scope. You can upgrade rifles....but not scopes.
All of the rifles mentioned have plenty of potential.
Look at used glass. You can get a $3000 scope for $2000 if you are patient. I have bought plenty of used scopes.

There's nothing wrong with the Vortex PST Gen 2, that's an awesome scope for the money. The Leopold LRP 6.5-20x50 would be another great scope in the same price range. Also check out the Nightforce SHV 5-20x50. You don't need a $2k scope in my opinion. I've shot thousands of rounds through $300-1000 scopes and never felt I needed anything more. Yes, Nightforce NXS and ATACRs are bulletproof, but I don't think you have to have one.

As far as rifles, I would look into Savage, Bargara, Remington, and Browning. The more you want to pay, the better stocks and features you'll get. I would look into a Savage Long Range Hunter, Bergara HMR, Browning X-Bolt Pro Long Range and Remington 700 5R or Sendero. All of these are in the $1000-1200 price range and are great off the shelf rifles. I'm not sure if you reload or not, but depending on what you intend to hunt or how far you want to shoot, I'd look into 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm Rem Mag, and .300 Win Mag.

I'm new to long range shooting, and have been looking at rifles for a few weeks. I wanted to try and get some feedback from actual shooters so I joined these forums for help. I started out looking at the Seekins Havak Bravo, Bergara Ridgeline and DD Delta 5. Also have researched glass like Vortex, Nightforce and others in the $2k price range. I decided I didn't want to spend $4k+ on my first setup so that led me to looking at cheaper options like the Bergara B14 HMR and Browning Max Long Range with something like Vortex Viper PST Gen2 glass to go on it. A setup like that is roughly half of what I started out looking at and I'm leaning to going that direction but wanted some more feedback from actual shooters.

To sum all that up, I'd like recommendations for a roughly $2k setup including glass, and same on a $4k setup like mentioned above. Im not a pro but I can work on my guns some. I've built a couple AR's and repair my older shotguns when I have issues myself, so building one might not be out of the question. Any input appreciated!
Remington 700 5r Gen 2 with a vortex PST II. I have that set up in 260 rem and have run it out to 1250yards. The gun is crazy accurate, I am getting 1/2 moa with factory prime ammo. The scope tracks flawlessly. I did drop a triggertech in the 5r, but that is all I have done to it.

Remington 700 5r Gen 2 with a vortex PST II. I have that set up in 260 rem and have run it out to 1250yards. The gun is crazy accurate, I am getting 1/2 moa with factory prime ammo. The scope tracks flawlessly. I did drop a triggertech in the 5r, but that is all I have done to it.
I have a bergara b14 hmr n 6.5 cm with a vortex PST 5x25x50 and love it

Remington 700 heavy police then do your add ons over time.Trigger good glass rail and rings stock ect and get a kestrel 5700 with Ab and learn how to set it up and use it

I'm going to jump in here, because I have similar questions to the original poster.

I got my hands on a brand new Winchester model 70 sporter in 300 WM. (I live in Colorado, btw). I actually won it in a sweepstakes...please don't hate me!

I was leaning towards keeping it since I don't have a bolt-action rifle and may want to begin hunting next year (I've never hunted anything... Well, besides the Taliban with ISR aircraft while in the Air Force). I'm wondering if you would recommend I stick with it, or if I'd be better served selling it and buying something else.

Thanks in advance.

I'm going to jump in here, because I have similar questions to the original poster.

I got my hands on a brand new Winchester model 70 sporter in 300 WM. (I live in Colorado, btw). I actually won it in a sweepstakes...please don't hate me!

I was leaning towards keeping it since I don't have a bolt-action rifle and may want to begin hunting next year (I've never hunted anything... Well, besides the Taliban with ISR aircraft while in the Air Force). I'm wondering if you would recommend I stick with it, or if I'd be better served selling it and buying something else.

Thanks in advance.
There's nothing wrong with those rifles at all. They don't have quite the aftermarket support as a Remington/700 clone or Savage, but they aren't bad. I would have it glass bedded by a professional gunsmith and work up a load for it.

What are you looking to do with the rifle / scope? Hunt, punch paper - steel, what distances,,,,???

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.