Newbie has questions.......

cowboy717

Hello all!!
Although i'm not new to reloading. i am to precision "handloading". neckturning and all that jazz are things i've never done.. i'm looking to get into shooting long range and ultimately i'd like to get an Edge and maybe some 6.5 mm's unsure of what caliber yet tho, to shoot up to 1000yds.
i have a new Rem PSS 308 that i have yet to shoot. with lapua brass and 175gr SMKs.
does anyone have any good reads on neckturning, precision handloading and tools needed. i'm kinda teaching myself all of the above but looking everything up on a dialup computer is getting on my nerves.
Thanks alot in advance.

PS.. is there anyone on here from central MO?

Thats the great thing about this sport/hobby, you will ALWAYS have questions.
When you refine a technique, you'll see a better way to do it later on.
Continuous improvement comes with the territory.

I shot 5 bullets through the same hole at 100 yards a year ago.
Last week, I shot 5 through the same hole at 200 yards.
Maybe I will do it at 300 when I learn more?

Have fun with it, learn each skill individually, then combine them into a great cartridge. Thats how I progressed to my current level of prowess, which is pretty small compared to some of these 1000 yard guys.

Its not the destination, its the JOURNEY that makes it exciting.

someone once said "A wise man makes a mistake every day". I agree with that.

You are definitely on the right track. Reading is essential.
Before I load any recipie, I look at at least three different sources, to make sure it is safe.
I bought a copy of the precision shooting and reloading guide a while back, if you want to read it private message me your address and I'll send it to you.

Thanks! I've been lurking around and been very impressed by this site so far. Learning a little as i go.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated on books and such.. Will be sure to start looking for them...

With a factory chamber and Lapua brass you do not need to turn necks. You do not need to gouge the flashholes either. You shoulld check the primer pockets but I doubt you will need to uniform very much if at all.

What you will need

VLD chamfer tool
Body die
neck die
competition bullet seating die, not necessarily with the micrometer unless you just want it.
Concentricity gauge - RCBS or others will be fine.
Stoney Point/Hornady ogive guage
case trimmer
Calipers
Varget or RL17
Fed 210 GM primers

With a factory chamber and Lapua brass you do not need to turn necks. You do not need to gouge the flashholes either. You shoulld check the primer pockets but I doubt you will need to uniform very much if at all.

What you will need

VLD chamfer tool
Body die - Read as Full length sizing die (Which you can use to neck size too).
neck die - Helpful, but not necessary.
competition bullet seating die, not necessarily with the micrometer unless you just want it. Forster makes a good one, Redding does too, and so does RCBS.
Concentricity gauge - RCBS or others will be fine. Hornady makes a new tool for this. It can check AND CORRECT run out (bullet off center seating).
Stoney Point/Hornady ogive guage - Read as OAL gauge. I use a Sinclaire bullet comparator set on an "Anvil", which screws onto your caliper. You can read your OAL from the same point on any projectile, for true OAL measurement. You cannot adjust your seating depth without this measurement.
case trimmer - Forster makes a trimmer that can turn outside diameter necks too.
Calipers - Steel only.
Varget or RL17
Fed 210 GM primers
Primers will depend on what your gun likes, try several types to see which shoots best for YOUR GUN.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.