Steel Targets for Practice

bweber

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone out there uses steel targets a lot for practice. In particular I'm trying to find out who makes the best ones. I'm going to be blasting away at this thing with a 300 Mag, so I need one that stands up.

I took a scoped rifle course last week at the Sig Arms Academy. By far the coolest thing was this spinning target they had. It was a classic IPSC outline of the human torso. But behind the head was about a five-inch metal plate on a swivel. It would appear behind the left shoulder. Then if you hit it you could swing it over to the right shoulder, and so on.

It was way cool. In fact, leave me with one of those at a few hundred yards, some water, a few sandwiches and a case of ammo -I'll be there all day!

So I'm looking to get one of these. But I know that metal targets that aren't good can be frustrating. Can anyone recommend a good one that won't fall over easily or come apart?

Thanks,

Ben

+1 on that… went to Vegas to watch the NASCAR races went over and seen Kurt in person really nice guy!!! picked up three of his targets. They even hold up to 338 Allen Mag.

No human-shaped targets??? :) They're kind of a guilty pleasure.

Actually, with this one the attraction wasn't so much being human shaped. Rather it was the feeling of having to miss one thing while hitting a 5" plate. I guess a classic dueling tree would also work. But then a miss would just be a miss, not the sense that you had hit something you weren't supposed to.

I'll take a look at the ones you mentioned.

Thanks,

Ben

MGM targets build a great many different targets, have a lifetime
warranty.
Great group to work with and Shooting the MGM Ironman wow....Priceless

Bweber

Just go to your nearest Rail road Track an Look around for for the used steel plates that goes between the cross ties an rails .

The old ones they will just throught them beside the tracke .

the size of them is about 6 by 8 .

they work very well an will hold up to alot of shooting .

Redbone

These guys made mine --- have one at 300, 600 and 1200. Great products and they will take the punishment from my 338 Lapua AI with 300gr pills.

Metal Spinning Targets - Home

If you ask they will even weld armor plate around the frame.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.