Staying with the300 win mag choice......

big mike 2121

Guys thanks so much for all input and answers to my 300 mag questions. Now, one more.
Can u guys give me some suggestions of both factory, and reloads as for as bullets for whitetail and similar sized game? Will also be shooting hogs so i need a good round and load for that too.

For factory ammo, you might look at the Remington 180 Scirocco. I know a few folks that are having good luck with it. For a handload I would be looking at 185, 190, or 210 Berger. H-1000 is popular choice for powder and its fairly temp stable.

Personally, would find one good load and stick with it for everything. It makes life easy.

for under 600 yards i would use a 165 baltip or a 168 cbt. 3000 -3100 fps. for longer i would use a berger probably a 210 or a 175. lapua brass. the 300wm is awesome

My .300 Winnie just loves Federal Preimium 180 grain Accubonds. I shot a 7/16" 3-shot group with them this year. The trouble is finding them. They were sold out "everywhere" earlier this fall. I just received two boxes on backorder from Midway that were ordered in late Sept. They are now my "go-to" round for this gun.

My gun also like Federal Preimium 200 grain TBBC's, but the elk don't! :D

Good luck!

RH

You will not regret going with the 300wm. I have 2 and they are set up different than each other. I don't shoot factory ammo much, if I do it is only because it was on sale or really cheap and I wanted it for the brass and just use it for plinking practice. My serious hunting or target loads are all my own handloads. I pretty much use only RL22 because it has been good for me in the 300's. Bullet weight, I would recommend 180's. As a previous poster said it will keep things simple. Lot's of quality bullets to choose from.

Jeff

thanks again guys!! liking the tipped tsx's and researching bullets in the 165 to 180 grain class.

Go with the 180's , you'll be good for anything in North America. Load to around 3000 if the accuracy is there. Use them in both my 300's and they cloverleaf at around 3040 in my rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.