Starting with a Savage

dust

So, the dream isn't as hefty as headshotting a bull elk at 1 mile or anything. The dream is more grounded by the lack of a zero on the above budget.

Goals
A well built gun that can be barreled in two calibers, one in the 6mm, and on in the .30.
Ability to shoot as far as my eyes can see (I guess 500 yards is a good start)
Take down Southern US game accurately as far as the ballistics of the caliber allow

I have had my eye on the .308 and .243 combo, but dont know if it is the best to start with. Currently there will be no reloading, but the equipment is there. I have alot of time to get it done, being that I am not in the country, and won't be able to put it together or shoot it for a while. For right now the caliber and rifle is the main concern. Scope will come later. I don't think that scopes will be banned anytime soon.

Sounds like a good plan.

I'm also a Savage guy.

I have two Savage actions. Both long actions. One with a standard bolt head and one with a magnum.

Here's my list of barrels.

220 Swift
22-250
(2)22-250AI
22-243AI
243win
270win
284win
7RM
7wsm
30-06
300win
300wsm
338 barrel that isn't chambered yet.

It only takes a few minutes to swap the barrels, and I've had fantastic luck with Savage accuracy.

The two calibers you are thinking about are great rounds and should easily do what you are asking.

If you want to go the cheapest route I'd suggest a Stevens 200. I've seen them locally for about $250.

As for upgrading it. A SSS trigger is $85. Shilen, McGowen, Douglas pre-fit barrels run $270-$310. B&C and Stockade stocks are very popular for Savage/Stevens.

I was thinking Stevens, but I am really hooked on getting a DBM. Do I need to start with a long action or with a short action? I honesty don't see myself going wit more than .308, 243 and 22-250.

Last edited:
I was thinking Stevens, but I am really hooked on getting a DBM. Do I need to start with a long action or with a short action? I honesty don't see myself going wit more than .308, 243 and 22-250.

Short action should be fine. If you get the DBM, you should check out the extended mag system from Sharp Shooter Supply. Very nice. Fred specializes in Savage/Stevens stuff.

Been there done that. One of the reasons I want the DBM. What benefit would getting a long action have if I ony wanted the three above calibers. I am new to the savage stuff.

You'll be able to shoot repeater as long of a case and bullet you can find.

In fact, Earl Fouraker modified a plane jane Savage 111 270win to feed 7mmRUM as a repeater with a 3.875" OAL.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/new-long-range-savage-7ultra-32534/

10 minutes later he could be back to shooting 22-250, 243, or 308 through the same action.

The biggest advantage of a long action is that once you get bit by the barrel bug, you can screw any barrel you want to.

Savage has one of, if not the longest Det mags for the 308/243 case. You can stuff a cartridge just under 3" and it will feed slick.

There really isn't any need to go to a long action if you will stick with this cartridge family.

Sounds like you are well on your way to having a great project.

If I may suggest, have a look at the 260 and 7-08. Both will shoot circles around the 308 and have better barrel life then the 243.

I find the 6.5 a perfect balance for LR plinking and mid range hunting. Recoil is less then your 308 and not much more then the 243.

I am sure once you get the Savage barrel swap bug, you will try many. The 260R is just a great place to start.

Jerry

to be honest, the 308 and 243 were chosen because everyone and their dog will have ammo for it, and can be bought in bulk, just in case I am no longer (un)constitutionally allowed to buy it for whatever reason.

Last edited:
Ok, you guys have me thinking again. I am thinking about the 7-08, and then going with a 7mm super duper magnum to make reloading and bullets and cleaning easier. Would the 7mm in regular and magnum be a better bet than a .30 in regular and magnum?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.