Sendero as a starting point?

I would get a box of 168's and 180's and see what shoots the best at what velocity. Best of the West seem to shoot mostly the 168's and an elk won't know the difference between either IMO inside the effective range of a 7mag. I would get the gun then see what it likes, it may spray Bergers all over the hill side so don't get your mind set on something till you get results at the range over the crony!

as far as the bergers go. they are soft . even the 180 won't go through an elk. the 140 may damage a little more on an antelope but not the heavier ones. i usually prefer a "soft " bullet to one that passes through ALL the time like a tsx. if i/you were hunting in snow for elk i might use an accubond (passthroughtype bullet) . for big deer the 168 and for antelope 140 . the 162 hornady is cheaper and easier to find. you could easily use the 162 or 168 for everything. i would not use the 140 berger on elk . i have shot the 140 accubonds they are very accurate. i would not be afraid to use those on elk. hope this helps.

but do notice i said "arguably" ive taken elk at 300 yds with my 270 and 150gr bullets running them hot right at 3000 fps but im looking for longer range applications. hence the indecision on whether to go all out with the 180s or sit back just a little with the 168s to keep the 50yd antelope in at least big pieces

Greybull uses 7mm Rem Mags, and even 264 Win mags, and I believe that BoTW uses a 7mm Rem Mag as well. I would not hesitate to use the 7mm on elk, at all.

If you want big and long range, then look at a 338.

Not sure if you have figured out the glass you want on top yet but you may want to decide what style of shooting and what reticle you want first then start looking for brands/models.

For instance, are you going to dial in range, use a BDC reticle that is caliber specific or one that is set up in MOA or Mil marks. Are you maybe going to try the BOTW style with a yardage turret and hold for distance? Once you figure this out then you will have a better idea of what reticle you need, then you can start narrowing down the field for what scope choices you have.

I am really excited about the Vortex Viper PST's but time frame could be an issue there.
I have had great luck with the Bushnell 4200's, even the 3200's are nice if you can find a reticle you like. The 6500's are very nice and the 2.5-16's are about the ideal all around perfect power range.
The conquests are really nice too.
The SWFA SS scopes are top notch. Once they get their new reticle out they will be tough to beat IMO. They are rock solid scope with great glass, (the new ones in particular) and incredible turrets. If you like mildot reticles they are the best deal going right now.
Weaver doesn't get talked about much but they make very good scopes. I have their V16, grand slam, super slam scopes and they are very nice. Great glass, very repeatable turrets and I have not had a warranty issue with any of their scopes. The Nitrex line of scopes is supposed to the be same as the Weavers but just re-branded. They have some very good deals online right now if you can find what you want.

Hope this helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts