Starting out point

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by dnj21, Jul 25, 2005.

1. dnj21

dnj21 Member

Long time lurker, love the site. Am preparing to set up first LR rig and would like to make sure I am on the right path. I have a NIB Rem 700 SS in .300 RUM and a Leupold 4.5x14x50 AO Var III. Going to send off scope to Premier Reticle in VA, then rifle to Hill Country Arms in TX for McMillian stock, teflon finish and light accurizing. Mainly western elk and Mule deer hunting and of course target practice. Wide open to suggestions.....
    Thanks,
    Dave

2. chris matthews

chris matthews Well-Known Member

Shoot it first before sending it out.....no need in fixing something that ain't broke....

3. Shawn Carlock

Shawn Carlock Sponsor

Dave,

I agree with Chris 100% most well, some shoot exceptional. If you got a really good one spend you money wearing it out.

4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Well-Known Member

sounds like a great start. I would also recommend trying it before you send it out. If nothing else, you will get the joys of a new rifle twice.

5. dnj21

dnj21 Member

Thanks for the advice guys, I will put scope on it and try it next weekend. Still thinking about the stock change, factory stock is pretty flimsy feeling. Will hold off on the Jewell trigger also until I try everything out.
    Dave