Starting with a .22?

final

G'day,
I'm very new to shooting and Ive been searching for a good rifle to start with. I was thinking of a .308 but ive been told that i should buy a .22 because they have virtualy no recoil and that would help me to work on my technique. Can anyone help with what i should buy?
Also, center fire and rimfire, is one more accurate than the other?
Please help!

A couple of general thoughts, I think a decent .22 rimfire is a good place to start - Cz 452 for instance (very good value for money). In many respects a .22 rimfire is a good investment, a lot of practice / trainig for little money.

That said considering your location I would look at what sort of shooting is available in your area and if there is a choice what interest you. In general there are more .22 clubs than others. On the other hand you may have a limit on the number of rifles you can buy. Put it another way if you want to shoot something big a .22 is not the way to go if you can only have one rifle.

More info would help.

Hope it helps a bit,

David.

For sombody thats never shot before , yes the 22 long rifle which is a rimfire is a great place to start , no recoil , low noise , very cheap to shoot , generaly they are deciently accurate. BUT , they are very limited to range.

But if your wanting to get into shooting at longer ranges then the 223 Rem is a good round to start with , still very low recoil and it'll get you out to 3-400yds with good bullets.

If your just starting to learn try a 22 rimfire. I love shoot mine when you get good tell you friend that you can hit that soda can at 200 yard they will laugh then you can show them up. I do alot of 22LR if im not in a good long range area. If you can make hits at 300 yard with the 22. Then its alot like shooting at 800 to 1000 yards with a centerfire.

If you want to get a rifle for longer ranges then I would recommend one of the small varmint calibers to start. Either a 204, 222, or 223. These have virtually no recoil in a varmint weight rig and all can be very accurate at longer distances. The 204 has virtually the same trajectory as a 22-250 (the big non-wildcat .22 cal)

As others have mentioned a 22 RF is a good place to start. If you are hooked on shooting you will quickly out grow it. Since you are a new shooter and not reloading a .223 is a nice center fire caliber to get. Ammo is easy to get, and cheap. You can also reload for it, if you decide to try your hand at that.

HTH
Frank D

Hi Klemm,
I believe everyone should have a 22 lr to pracatise with.Starting off you should buy the best rifle you can afford. Nowadays second hand rifles are VERY hard to sell, so plan & try to buy right first time.
A suggestion for a rimfire rifle is a Auschutz 64 mpr. For a scope a Leupold 6-18 target. Mounts I sugest British Sports Match. This rifle could be used for target shooting ie custom rimfire benchrest, custom rimfire hunter class or rimfire metallic silhouette. It could also be used in the field.
This combo would not be cheap but would be very good.This is what I recomened to my son for when he turns 18 & can buy his own rifle.
Regards
hjl

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.