Starter Kits for first time reloaders!

Laker_Taker

Hello to all,
I have a friend that want's to get into reloading. I use RCBS and I bought setup piece by piece. He wants to buy Lymans starter kit (Lyman T-Mag 2 Turret Press Expert Kit) Does anybody out there use this kit or uses Lymans in general. My friend is looking for answers and I cannot give any on how good this product is. I have always used RCBS because that's what my Granddad used father used and me. Please provide any info.

This will be used for target and hunting nothing to do with long range.

Thanks Aaron

Can't tell you about the Lyman. But, I like my RCBS Rockchucker Supreme Master reloading kit. I did a review on it when I got it. Two years back I think, if ya want to look. Definetly reccomend it though.

There is nothing wrong with the Lyman Turrent Press. I always thought that there should be some give in the turrent in that type of reloader but never found a proble and it always did a good job for me. I have had a couple of them and the last one loaded literly 10's of 1000's of cases for me. I shot compatition handgun for a number of years and used it to reload all my ammo. Even when it was getting worn looking it still did a good job. Not as easy to use for resizing large cases as compaired to my RCBS press but I couldn't complain. Hope that helps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The Lyman is the one we use and it has been a very good reloader for our needs. I have three turrets full of dies
and will need to get another turret soon as the 270 AM dies will make for #4 turret. Great reloader kit as I would think the RCBS to be as well. I like the ability to switch turrets and change to a different setup easily. Maybe I am getting lazy in my old age. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I also have set up beside the Lyman a RCBS partner press that I use for smaller cases sometimes and the occasional bullet pulling.
1kstr

I went through the same debate and bought the Lyman T-mag, so for a great press, no slop and love the quick change. Still using the forster for the big stuff 375 -416.

i got my rockchucker about 25 years ago. went from personnal loading to friends, family, then commercial. have owned lee presses, several dillons etc. but have always had the old mean green. i estimate that i have put 2 million rounds thru this press, not the number of times i actuated it, but rounds loaded. the other day i noticed the ram was wobbly (had been getting worse for the last several years, but now moved side to side about a 1/4 in. ). RCBS diagnosed the problem immediately, sent me the parts and i had them installed in less that 4 days all FREE. i have all kinds of reloading tools from a wide variety of companies. Lyman wont fix anything for free even if it is new. Lee wont replace even a bad product and they want to argue about it. Dillon and RCBS has always replaced a product, even if i broke it. if you are going to load parttime or less than a 1000 rounds a year, most any brand will do. If you think that it might be something you might get into a lot, start simple with a single stage press that will last. you will form your own way to load and will find products that fit your style as you learn what to do and what works for you. Redding, RCBS, Hornady dies all work really well. i have bought lee dies that wouldnt even hold a bullet when F/L resized NEW brass of 3 different brands (and they wouldnt reimbuse me or change them either). RCBS will change out or exchange any product that doesnt work for you or breaks for the life of the product, even if you didnt buy it. RCBS is the ONLY die that works on heavy wheelgun roll crimp (even dillon says this), e.g. 360 grain bullets for 44 mag or 400 grainers for the 45 colt, 454. etc. Sinclair and other specialty tool makers have great products, but i would learn the basics with a good single stage press first.
a word of caution. read a good manual, like lyman, hornady etc. first. talk to someone who YOU trust as a reloader. Knowing the person, how meticulous, ritualistic, etc. they are helps a lot in the information that they give you. an ADD type will have a lot more problems than an obsessive compulsive type. some people shouldnt ever reload. You should develope your own system. in that system always set up a method that rechecks every step at least 3 times on every cartridge!!! always load only one load on your bench at any given time. that way you leave your powder CANNISTER with your scale/measure, primer box with your primer tool, etc. learn from an experienced reloader and they will be an invaluable resource and keep your mistakes prayerfully down and on the small side. if you dont remember where you are on a load or forgot, redo it, never assume anything or guess. write everything down, this diary will be valuable over the years and help immeasurably.
it's a big step, but opens a world that i think you will always be glad you opened. we are all glad and excited for you because we remember that giant first step too.
doc

I bought mine ~3 years ago and am very pleased with it ...

1.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.