Reloading starter kit, many calibers

captnmo

This might seem to be a repetitive question, and I've read previous threads on this subject. But I wanted to address it from another angle. I've got several handguns and rifles, with many different calibers. 223, 308 win, 40 S&W, 45 ACP, 9mm, 303 British, 30-30, etc. I want to start reloading for all these so I think I'll need a single stage, turret press. Most people getting into reloading would go for a single stage, standard. However given my variety of calibers, what would be the best starting point? It would have to be a good platform for precision loading and building on other equipment later on. Thanks!

Get a good quality single stage press. Changing dies is so simple, in my opinion, a turret press is really unecessary.

Later, if you start shooting a lot of pistol, you can get a good progressive press for high volume loading.

A good single stage press will enable you to load very high quality ammo for your rifle. A good RCBS, Redding, Lee etc. press will work fine for you.

AJ

Will I have to continually re-adjust the dies with a single-stage press? Or is there a press that has a quick-change system that allows me to leave the dies say for, .308 as they are and ready to use again? Thanks.

No, the dies all have a locking ring that you can set and then just remove from press and they they go back to that setting when you reinstall them. Allways good to recheck them with your calipers to make sure, but they should be right on.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.