start up .243

LeonJ71

I currently have a Mossberg atr 100 in .270 and kids have the mossberg in .243 but plan on selling it or trading it in on a .243..I live in florida and our deer dont get over 150lbs so the .243 wont have an issue out to 500 yards..Im goin to the .243 so I can reload since would have the same caliber as both my kids...

My question is what would be a good stock rifle(action) to go with so I can begin to customize it as I go..right off I plan on getting a thumbhole stock since they are very comfortable to me. Also wanting to make it into a target rifle.

I know the Mossberg super bantam ( I prefer to use it over my .270)that my 10 yr old has is super accurate (100 yard head shot on doe this year)but not sure how customizable they are.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am totally new to long range shooting (past 300 yards).

Leon

Leon,

I have a Remington 700 in an SPS Varmint 243 (26" contoured bull barrel).
The Rem 700 has a lot of aftermarket stocks offered out there and is a proven action and barrel.
The SPS Varmint comes with a relatively poor synthetic stock so I also have been researching to find a thumbhole stock that will be strong enough to free float the barrel (this model has pillars).

Here are my final choices but I will likely go with the Boyd's:

H-S Precision synthetic ($400+) high end
Choate has medium priced synthetic pistol grip sniper stocks that are popular ($226)
Boyd's Thumbhole wood laminates seem to be the cheapest and potentially strongest for free floating the barrel (many bed their actions in steel epoxy).
They offer a featherweight which approximates the original weight of my synthetic stock ($54 if unfinished)

p.s. one of our forum members recently bought this same 243 Varmint SPS and had small 1.5" groups at 500yds. with the barrel right from the box (if he is telling the truth):
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/amazing-range-results-take-look-74375/
I have only shot about 25 rounds out of mine so far so am not sure what it will do at that distance.

Hope this helps,
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.