Where to start?

esshup

I picked up a .22-250 Model 70 that has a McGowan 28" crown to bolt face 1:12 barrel on it, pretty much a straight taper 1.12 dia barrel. The gun was re-barrelled in 1981.

If you gotta ask, YES it is a bit muzzle heavy!

I figure that I could take out West for some P-Dogs & 'yotes if we get a chance. I haven't put any rounds thru it to speak of yet, the cheap a..ed scope that was on it not to my liking, and I don't have rings to mount a different scope. I figure that if I have to buy rings, I might as well see what I need for reloading supplies.

My question is what should I get in the line of bullets and powders, and what does everybody recommend for a good load? I have primers, 400 pc. brass and a good selection of powders already, but I don't know what's worked for other people. I'll need to buy bullets at the very least. My factory Savage Model 11 .223 shoots in the .2's with Barnes 36g Varmint grenades and 27.0g TAC

I like Alliant, and Reloder 10x will probably give you the best velocity for 40gr bullets or lighter, and Reloder 15 is probably the best for 50-55gr pills.

Varget is probably going to cost you 100fps, but it's proven to be a highly accurate, consistent powder, and I'm using it more and more. I highly recommend trying it as a replacement for TAC. A slower powder like Varget will probably work great with a long barrel like yours.

I like heavier bullets for the .22-250. The .267 BC of the 55gr Ballistic Tip is excellent, and will really put the hurting on bigger predators. I'll gladly trade the extra drop over a 3xgr bullet for the much better wind resistance. The book max is 36.5gr of Varget - I'd start at 33-34 and work up, and be very surprised if it didn't deliver bench-rest accuracy and serious ballistics.

Thanks. I drove the hour to the closest gun shop and picked up his 2 last cans of TAC, a can of Varget, a box of 36g V grenades, 52g A-max and 55g Blitzkings.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.