Standand match primer in an ultra mag?

Partagas

With the primer shortage I am being forced to use standard br2s in my 338 ultra. What kind of effect will this have? Will some powders be easier to ignite than others? I have H1000, retumbo, and 7828. Running 225 AB and 300 smks.

I used some CCI BR-2's in my 300 RUM a few years back with H-1000 and 200g AB's.

Initial load testing was in about 40 degree weather. Igniting 92-94g of H-1000 didn't seem to have any effect with the standard BR-2 primer. Accuracy was the same or better then Fed 215's I had been using. Velocity was the same or maybe at most 50fps slower.

So I decided to load them up and take them elk hunting. Elk hunting was about 0 degrees and that was enough to make it go from no problems to about a 1 second hang fire every time I squeezed the trigger.

Cold weather will definately play a factor in it. I would say if your above freezing, they should work every bit as good as a mag primer. But below freezing, the hotter spark is definately needed.

Hope this helps some.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.