Fed large mag v/s match mag primers

nddodd

Hey guys whats the difference between fed. gold medal match large mag primers and regular fed. large mag rifle primers.

Thanks
Nathan

The reason i am asking is becouse a store not far from me has 6000 Fed. lrg rifle mag. primers and i cant find any match anywhere.

Hi Nathan,

The story is that the match grade primers are manufactured with some additional efforts to increase the primer to primer consistency - power/temperature/burn rate. I go with the match primers since they don't cost too much extra, but I've never really seen any research demonstrating the tangible improvements over their regular grade of primers. Since primers are so tough to get right now, I wouldn't hesitate to use the regular large rifle magnum primers. I'm not sure you'll measure any difference in group size on your targets.

Paul

Thank you Paul, i believe i will head up there tomorrow and buy a thousand or so. I will let yall know if my groups change alot or not.

Thanks
Nathan

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.