Speer Grand Slam vs Nosler Accubond & Elk

Bob Ferguson

I am new to reloading and started to do some for an elk hunt in Dec. I haven't gone to the range yet, it's summer her in AZ with 110+ temps, to see how they will preform with my rifle, a 7MM RM.

I had been using a 160gr Grand Slam sold by HSM which are no longer available. It worked very well in my rifle. Several local folks suggest staying away from the Grand Slam, something about them being re-engineered.

I am looking for any input, comments as well as experiences of members who have used some of the bullets on large animals. How they perform, which you prefer and why? Thanks for your feedback!

I am new to reloading and started to do some for an elk hunt in Dec. I haven't gone to the range yet, it's summer her in AZ with 110+ temps, to see how they will preform with my rifle, a 7MM RM.

I had been using a 160gr Grand Slam sold by HSM which are no longer available. It worked very well in my rifle. Several local folks suggest staying away from the Grand Slam, something about them being re-engineered.

I am looking for any input, comments as well as experiences of members who have used some of the bullets on large animals. How they perform, which you prefer and why? Thanks for your feedback!
I would go with the accubond and not look back. Do a search on here about elk bullets and you'll see the number one response is accubond.
Nothing wrong with the grand slam and they were redesigned (I think in the 80's?).
GS are still tough bullets and will do the job but the accubond is much easier to work up a accurate load. I tried the 160 GS from a 280 Remington and a 7-08 and couldn't get them to group well enough to use.
Good luck with whichever you choose.

I would go with the accubond and not look back. Do a search on here about elk bullets and you'll see the number one response is accubond.
Nothing wrong with the grand slam and they were redesigned (I think in the 80's?).
GS are still tough bullets and will do the job but the accubond is much easier to work up a accurate load. I tried the 160 GS from a 280 Remington and a 7-08 and couldn't get them to group well enough to use.
Good luck with whichever you choose.
Bob, if you decide to try the GS I have probably a half box of the 7mm 160 that I will give you for the price of shipping. ($10)
PM me if you're interested.

Bob, if you decide to try the GS I have probably a half box of the 7mm 160 that I will give you for the price of shipping. ($10)
PM me if you're interested.

Same offer from me also 👆👆👆
Ima thinking I have 30ish 160's

32 to exact

Here's a 160 Accubond from my 7STW @ 3175 through both front shoulders of bull at 180yards. Weighs 90gr now

Attachments

• IMG_4997.jpeg
    IMG_4997.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_4996.jpeg
    IMG_4996.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_4995.jpeg
    IMG_4995.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 55
Last edited:
I use Accubonds, when available, in my 7STW. I also use Ballistic Tips and ABLR.
If you can get them, the 160g Accubond is great, but so is the 168g ABLR.

Cheers.

I've shot deer with the 160gr Grand Slams and Accubonds out of my 7mag.Both of those bullets will exceed what is needed for deer,I think they are a little too tough for deer,I'm sure they will work about equally as well on elk.The Accubond does have a better B.C. and bonded so that's a plus for that bullet.I never was able to stop a 160gr on deer with either bullet.I did recover a couple of the 145gr Grand Slams and one of the 140gr Accubonds.This is what those looked like.Both bullets in the 160gr are tougher bullets.
140 Accbond

145 Grand Slams