ELD-X vs Accubond

My understanding on the Nosler LR bullets is for the bullet to perform at 1300 fps. Most hunting bullets do not expand or perform as well when the velocity gets below 1600 fps.
I reckon in theory you could extend the range from 800 yards to 1100 yards and still have a hunting bullet that expands. This would be for a 6.5 CM, I do not know what different calibers are.
I aint interested in shooting any animal past 400 yards, so the Nosler LR would be a waste of time and money for me. Maybe so with the ELD-X too. If I can get a flat base hunting bullet to shoot good out to 500 yards that would be my money bullet. I like flat base spire point bullets for hunting most deer sized animals. I suppose we all got different ideas about hunting bullets.
My suggestion would be to still use a bonded bullet. The long range (LR) Accubond is designed for the highest energy Ballistic Coefficient for ranges between 500 to over 1000 yards. But, you can still buy a lighter version of the Accubond without the long range designation. Why a bonded makes a great hunting bullet is it stays together if you hit any bones insuring a quick kill. This is not to say that the non designated Accubond bullet can't kill at ranges excessive of 1000yds in certain calibers and ballistics.

Hornady says the lead core only separates once the bullet starts tumbling (which in my opinion is not a good excuse) but the fact they did not find any lead fragments makes me feel like the lead core actually passed through and they just did not see the exit? I find it hard to believe they couldn't recover even a tiny part of lead coupled with no blood shot meat. Just my two cents.
If the core separates from the jacket it does leave a pretty tiny exit hole in my experience. I shot a 150 pound whitetail buck through both shoulders with a 129gr hornady SST. It was obvious only the core or piece of the core went thru as the exit hole was tiny like an entrance wound.

Which bullet? What velocity?
It was a 143gr ELDX
Which bullet? What velocity?

Hi Greasegun, I am sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, haven't been in LRH this week.
All of the details can be found here:
https://www.longrangehunting.com/th...m-inside-400-yards.213543/page-9#post-1556590
You will also find in that thread, that Im not the only one who has had issues with this bullet. I will concede the velocity was quite high and the shot that presented itself was close. Im sure the 143 ELDX is an excellent bullet beyond 300yds.
One bullet really cannot give top performance over all ranges although there's definitely a range of distances at which different bullets can perform reliably but it relies on two factors; velocity and construction. As you know its the direct correlation between bullet construction and impact velocity that determines bullet performance.
I hope this is of some help.
Regards, Todd

My understanding on the Nosler LR bullets is for the bullet to perform at 1300 fps. Most hunting bullets do not expand or perform as well when the velocity gets below 1600 fps.
I reckon in theory you could extend the range from 800 yards to 1100 yards and still have a hunting bullet that expands. This would be for a 6.5 CM, I do not know what different calibers are.
I aint interested in shooting any animal past 400 yards, so the Nosler LR would be a waste of time and money for me. Maybe so with the ELD-X too. If I can get a flat base hunting bullet to shoot good out to 500 yards that would be my money bullet. I like flat base spire point bullets for hunting most deer sized animals. I suppose we all got different ideas about hunting bullets.

I'm with you on range around here.

260 Remington w/ 140 Accubonds @ 2850 & 308 with 165 grain Accubonds @ 2700.

The 308 Kid load is shaping up to be a NBT or Accubond 125 @ 2700.

It was a 143gr ELDX

Hi Greasegun, I am sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, haven't been in LRH this week.
All of the details can be found here:
https://www.longrangehunting.com/th...m-inside-400-yards.213543/page-9#post-1556590
You will also find in that thread, that Im not the only one who has had issues with this bullet. I will concede the velocity was quite high and the shot that presented itself was close. Im sure the 143 ELDX is an excellent bullet beyond 300yds.
One bullet really cannot give top performance over all ranges although there's definitely a range of distances at which different bullets can perform reliably but it relies on two factors; velocity and construction. As you know its the direct correlation between bullet construction and impact velocity that determines bullet performance.
I hope this is of some help.
Regards, Todd

Good info, thanks Todd! I may switch to ABLR, havent heard too many bad things on them.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.