Some Rockchuck "Shots"

tt35

My son, Ben, and I went out to a ranch to shoot some rockchucks the other day. We set up prone on the first rim and ranged some chucks at 499 and 500 yards. Seemed to work out to a pretty round number for our drop tables. We both shot our .243AI's. We took several then moved down the rim to the area where we had some of our greatest LR success last year.

First location. (The middle 'chuck is not alive. We stopped and photographed them after we finished hunting so rig' had set in.)
Rockchucks029.jpg

We set-up at the second location but, whatever the reason, we weren't able to come close to the performance from last year when we went about 50% on 19 rockchucks from 506 to 742 yards. This LR stuff can drive you crazy sometimes. This was not our day. I took a couple at around 525 yards and Ben just couldn't get it put together.

Ben finally couldn't stand watching as many as 12 'chucks at one time watching us from a point of rocks at just over 200 yards so he broke out his .17 Fireball. He took a couple of "trophies" off the point. He then decided to up the ante and shoot another from the sitting position at 200. Not to be outdone, I pulled out my .204 Savage Predator Hunter (my calling rifle)and made a first shot hit at 186 yards from the sit. I then promptly missed several more attempts at 200. I wish I could have "proved it" but I couldn't. If I'd have used my sticks, they'd have been in trouble though. :D

Some 200 yard 'chucks.
Rockchucks024.jpg

Ben had a breakdown with his .243 so we decided to go look over the damage. Before we left the truck, Ben went on to make a great off-hand head shot on one at 110 yards and then on the way up the rim, another gave it's life with a 60 yard head shot as well. The kid can shoot a little bit!

Two off-hand headshots.
Rockchucks023.jpg

I took my Cooper .204 along on the photo shoot and was able to take a few more from 365 to 425 yards. Not our best day of shooting but a good day none the less.

Cooper and Chuck. (At least, I think that's his name.)
Rockchucks027.jpg

Some from 525 and 425.
Rockchucks028.jpg

The .243AI is not very "fur-friendly" on rockkchucks.
Rockchucks026.jpg

We ended up with 19 or 20 rockchucks from 186 to 525 yards in a few hours. Overall not one of our best days for long range rockchucks but the "worst day hunting is better than the best day...."

Last edited:
Good day and good shooting. Missing keeps us coming back! I humbly admit missing two the other day. The ones I try to hold under instead of cranking the knob always get me! Then we pull off a standing offhand shot like you spoke of and our spirits are lifted once again.

Central and Eastern Oregon have rcokchucks. They will be found around rimrocks and boulder piles many times near hay ground but not always. Just start travelling and glassing likely looking areas. They have gone down for the year for the most part. They'll start showing up again next spring. If you start shooting them too early, you can kill out a colony pretty easily. Mid-May usually allows the YOY to get out on their own. Shooting can be good until early July.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.