Edge vs. Rockchuck

6.5x300

Hey guys,

Took my .338 edge out this weekend and got it bloody for the first time. A little over kill with the 300 gr Serria MKs but I needed to do some shooting. I have only put about 70 rounds down the barrel, mostly just close range paper, certainly no drop data or testing to be able to shoot such long range. I was able to conect with 3 rock chucks with a first shot hit at 420 yrds. A hit at 320 seems easy now with this gun. Final kill was at 500 yrds and took me 3 shots to nail him. I was using a drop chart published in guns and ammo for dial up and was very close. I'll now have to work on actual figures for my gun and load. These were my first hits at any range over 200 yrds and while they are not as far as what is capible from this caliber for me it was certainly a sucessful first step in long range shooting.

It was such a blast to see the aerial acrobatics of a rock chuck when blasted of their perch. I had to go conferm the kill and set them back up on the rock just to hit them again.

Had to stop by the ground squirrel fields as well to thin them out a little. Normaly use a 10-22 and burn up 1,000s of rounds but I broke my reciever so had to use the next gun I had avialable. A M94 6.5X55 Sweede with the old style Hornady 140gr A-Max does quite the number on those little criters.

All in all a good weekend for shooting out here in the NorthWest.

I'll see if I can retrive the photo's of my cell phone since I broke my camara as well.

Sounds Like a great time..

338 edge too much gun for a rockchuck?? have you seen the teeth on those bastards? they'll naw your ankles off..:D

I've shot some wood chucks here in PA with my 338-378 and no caliber is over kill on those varmints:D I only pull that gun out when we hunt over 1000 yards for them. We took 4 in one day between 1100 and 1300 yards and the 300g SMK didn't open up much but still left a 1" hole out the back side. Hoping to pull some more looong shots off again this year. I can't wait to see the photo's, I can't get enough of stretched out chucks. Good hunting!!

Trying to post pics but as they are from my cell they are not very good.

The Serria MK must have opened up because it nearly gutted them.

Glad to see the opinion is that 300 grains is not over kill on a rock chuck. I would have to agree.

Last edited:
6.5 - 300,

Where in Oregon are you located and where do you bust chucks?
I live in the medford area and also rip'm with an "EDGE"!
I frequently shoot around Bly, Gerber Reservoir, Silver Lake area, Maybe we can Meet sometime and do some BLASTIN"!
300MK's are all I shoot, from squeeks to Elk, kills 'em all!
I recently ripped a huge skunk @ 120yds. only thing left was the smell!gun)

Grew up in LaGrande. What a great place for outdoor activities. Lots of great hunting and fishing. I now live in Hood River and try to get back to LG for hunting and shooting when I can.

A bit of a drive to Medford and I don't have enough time to get out that much with twin 2 year olds but thanks for the offer, some day I hope.

I have spent some time in the Bend area golfing and talk about a rock chuck haven. Seems everyone I talk to in the Bend area say the ranchers do not allow any hunting on their land.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.