Some coyotes from the last few months

If the property your hunting has bedding areas your golden. If not they can be on the other side of their 40 square mile territory. I am currently trying to put together the travels of an old male here at the house. He comes by every third day. If he continues running this pattern he's in trouble. I use trail cameras and their howling to try and pattern them. Get in their head then go get them. Don't forget the fight sounds. When all else fails it works for me.

I think they might be breeding. I know it's early, but we had a few days with temps in the high 60's and 70's, and I think it may have kicked them into heat earlier than normal. I've never seen anything like this before.

Crazy you said that about the crows. 🤣

My first set this morning a flock of crows came in and were harrasing my decoy. It was the first time I'd ever seen that. I was so certain that a coyote was right behind them that I kicked my safety off and typed "I've just killed a pile of song dogs" in a text message to my hunting buddy, then I leaned back and waited for the slaughter to start.

I had to delete the text of course, and no slaughter followed. I thought I was going go have to shoot the crows though, it is possible that they were trying to breed my decoy, and that is exactly where I draw the line with crows. You can make all the noise you want fellas, but sodomizing my decoy will get you turned into a puff of floating feathers.
😂😂😂
I would almost bet mister coyote was watching the crow hump fest!

It's thier breeding season out west now and I find it difficult to call them in with prey sounds. But if you play female coyote howls and barks this time of year they come looking. Even if they don't come in they usually answer at dawn and dusk and you can stalk them. My favorite time is post rutn and they are just lying out on rocks in the sun all morning. I don't even call and just stalk em and pick em off at whatever range I like.

MZmoose, my findings are similar to yours...…...female howls and breeding sounds (female chirps, barks, etc) worked this past weekend...In the last 2 weeks I have shot 3 females in heat, spotting blood...…….right now it is a Coyote Love Fest, keep in mind, they have been waiting for 12 months...……….hard to imagine.....so you know they wont be late!!

You should go out post rut too. It's almost comical, they just lay around in the sun like they're smokin a cigarette after sex. They won't come to any predator or yote sounds. It's easy to spot thier light colored bellies in the morning sun. I stalked em and whacked 9 of em in 4 days last year.

From what I have read, from what I am experiencing, and from what other coyote addicts have told me, now is the toughest time of the year to get coyotes to "properly" respond like they do at other times of the year. I'm in Virginia. Throughout the late summer, Fall, and early December I was killing coyotes most every time I went out. Now, they just are not responding. Got a friend in Florida who is sponsored by FoxPro. He says the same thing . Here, they are not into breeding yet. I guess it's a lull time before the actual breeding. I know they will time the arrival of the pups with the dropping of the fawns, so with a 60 day gestation I don't expect breeding calls to produce for me until mid February.
I hunt with full thermal; at nite only. Have had excellent results until January when they completely shut down. I think they have definite "cycles ". I'll be there when they crank-up again. Till then I'm not "pushing " them or educating them. I just know that something is very different when the sound that normally brings them in "charging" makes them run away —- I have watched this happen through the thermal twice.

Attachments

• 0D5FD6BA-A3CC-4384-BEAA-CFFF1758C8F3.jpeg
    0D5FD6BA-A3CC-4384-BEAA-CFFF1758C8F3.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 164
  • 697D4769-1544-418B-85A4-88B6AFBBA75E.png
    697D4769-1544-418B-85A4-88B6AFBBA75E.png
    727.3 KB · Views: 153
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.