Some Called, a Couple Long Range

tt35

My son and my nephew are both home from college for Christmas. Ben and I went calling Friday. Had a close one show up on the first stand but it got away from Ben. The third stand had three or four hang up several hundred yards away. Ben went back to the truck and got his LR rig and we cut the distance and set-up again. One of them snuck back in and Ben put a 250 yard shot on him.

The next morning, Ben and his cousin, Gus, went out behind our place and had one come in and wind them. He made the mistake of taking off across the dry lake in front of them. Gus put an 80 yard running head shot on it with his .260. The "boys" can shoot a little. Fast forward to the afternoon.

They went to my brother's place and as they pulled in they saw a coyote on the pivot. A stalk put them at 710 yards with nothing but a bare alfalfa field between them and the coyote. Ben ranged, dialed and put one towards the hindquarters in a wind that was heavier than he expected but a couple more shots laid him down for good. When they got to the coyote, they spotted another that Gus hit at 370. (A mile and a half blood trail never turned the coyote up.) But, as they were looking at the area of Gus's hit they turned to find yet a third coyote on the pivot! This one ranged at 730 yards so Ben basically had his drops and wind call already. At the shot, the coyote just stiffened and tipped over!

It got dark on them while tracking Gus' coyote so they went back in the morning but ran out of snow and had to give it up. They found a good stand near where they quit tracking and called. A coyote came hard on Ben's side but turned just out of shotgun range. Ben switched to his rifle and, not to be outdone by his cousin, put a running headshot of his own on it! gun) On their last stand, one more coyote backdoored them in the only place he could have got it done and made it out with his skin.

Overall, a pretty good couple of days for Team NOS.

Happy New Year from No Off Season!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts