A couple big coyotes

nathank, maybe your onto something with the deer population seeming to be down...maybe yotes are responsible.

Great job Nathan !

Hunting coyotes in the woods is my favorite way to hunt them .

A good woods set-up [especially with a partner] is to call so that your scent is being blown out into an open field .Have a rifle guy looking across the field and a shotgun guy watching in the woods.

I call for 20seconds in multiple directions panning the call around then sit for 1-2 minutes ,then repeat calling sequence .
Also i place a homemade fur/feather decoy thingy on a branch four to five feet off the ground and shake it w/a fishing line -get back 50-60 feet away from the decoy.
A cardboard crow decoy or three also helps and are cheap to make and lightweight .

Thanks for sharing the story and pictures !

-Mike

I must have put the jinks on myself for talking about the big yotes we have been seeing. Put the hammer on 2 of the smallest dogs I have shot in years. Both were females. And brrrrrr it was cold.

hello. those are really large coyotes. If you look at first picture the muzzle of that dog has diffinite gray wolf in it. I was in Grande Prairie area moose hunting first week of November.NO moose. many, many coyote tracts in fresh snow. If you see them in pacts like wolves it won't be long your deer herd is in trouble. With wolves,cougars& yotes and 2 bad winters no wonder deer+moose are scarce. I know I"llnever go back! Dskiper

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.