So where is the big differance?

Now put a 215 Hybrid in the 300 win or a 230 Hybrid in the RUM , 30-378 or any larger cased 30 and watch the long range spanking begin in all aspects.

I have tested extensively. The best example is a 7mm-300 win, which I have built several, compared to a 300 win. Side by side in the field I clearly have a reason I still shoot the 300 win. Until the 195 Berger get to our hands that's just the way it is.

Jeff

+1 this is like comparing a .30cal to a .338cal rifle. The .30cal can come close to the .338 but when the .338 is loaded up with a high BC 300gr bullet then it will really outrun the .30s by a lot.

Now put a 215 Hybrid in the 300 win or a 230 Hybrid in the RUM , 30-378 or any larger cased 30 and watch the long range spanking begin in all aspects.

I have tested extensively. The best example is a 7mm-300 win, which I have built several, compared to a 300 win. Side by side in the field I clearly have a reason I still shoot the 300 win. Until the 195 Berger get to our hands that's just the way it is.

Jeff
And when you do....Tell them to send me a couple boxes.

What are the details on this 7mm 195 Berger? Is it a hybrid design like the 215 & 230? Just curious.

I believe so with a .795 projected BC I would think it would have to be. I have some info on it stashed away someplace. Hoping the reamer I am using will be a perfect fit.:)

Or maybe we should concentrate on the 250 gr 30 cal Hybrid with a BC close to .9?gun)

Jeff

I believe so with a .795 projected BC I would think it would have to be. I have some info on it stashed away someplace. Hoping the reamer I am using will be a perfect fit.:)

Or maybe we should concentrate on the 250 gr 30 cal Hybrid with a BC close to .9?gun)

Jeff

Don't forget the .406 G7 BC on the 7mm EOL 195... :D

No matter what caliber you prefer over it, there is no denying it will be a force to be recconed with.

The big difference IMHO is recoil. That said I think the recoil of the 215H is worth the downrange performance in both wind and energy. Also IMHO, the 215H makes the 210V obsolete. Comparing the 215H at 2550'sec against the 180V 7mm at 2950'sec my lowly 308 only gives up 9-1/2" of wind at 1k in 10 MPH and gives up 120'# of energy. I'm not saying the 308 can run with the 7WSM but it illustrates how impressive the 215H is. Similar case capacities, more energy, bigger hole, less wind better barrel life. There's the difference. Regardless of which route you go, you will give up something to the other.

But still there cant be that much of a differance to make that much of a differance.................................................

How much is "much of a difference"?

If you miss that elk at 700 yards, to much. :rolleyes:

7s are a sweet spot. 30s have lots of data and options.

I just though I would weigh in since everybody else is here. I'm a little like Mud in that I tend to chose a smaller caliber than most guys because I have faith in shot placement as opposed to mechanical energy. though, just to make sure I don't start another thread hijack here, I am not saying 'you can t have both'. so having said that, what guns do you like to shot the most right now and what rounds have you fired many times? do you like having more power in your arms, do you like having lots of options, do you like finding a little niche? is this a specific purpose rifle? that's what you have to ask yourself. so far as a larger caliber or smaller caliber is concerned, the basic principle of bigger bullets gives you more stable flight, more energy retention down field, which are all good things. however, you get that at the cost of recoil and gunpowder.

My rule of thumb is this, figure out what you want your bullet to do at the yardage you want to shoot and work backwards. use the biggest longest bullet you can get in a caliber to be your guide. If I was going with a .30 Cal, Id be using the 210gr+ bullets, if I were going with a .284, Id be using a 170+ gr bullet. which bullet gets the job done at the yardage you plan to shoot? That is how I answer the question.

Oh, and fire forming is really a bang! heh heh heh:cool:

Jeff

Jeff, are they working on a 250gr 30 cal as well? I figured something heavier than the 230 had to be coming eventually...have you heard something on that?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.