So where is the big differance?

Greg Duerr

I was looking at the 7mm WSM shooting the 180gr Berger at close to 2950 both rifles having a 26"barrel

So what would be a advantage to a 300 WIN MAG and the 210 there does not seem to be that much of an advantage....................other than a bullet that is 30gr heavier?

SD seem to to almost the same and Velocity really close....................

First off, let me say this...I own rifles chambered from .17 HMR up to .45-70...So this is just me going off of statistics, vs bias opinion as to which caliber I would prefer. I'll save my biased opinion for the very end of the post.

I feel there would be very little difference in wind deflection. The slightly heavier weight of the .30 is contradicted by it's larger diameter which is not as slippery in the wind, thanks to a greater surface area. The smaller diameter 7mm that is a little lighter, will be a little more slippery but is also a lighter weight bullet.

I would be willing to bet they would be so close in performance at 1000 yards, that the only way you could tell the difference would be to shoot them mechanically in a fixed rest, without human error. And even then I doubt you would see any sort of significant difference in wind deflection.

But that is my opinion, i'm not a human ballistics computer.

I also don't own either caliber, just going off of basic statistics and common equation properties such as diameter, weight, length, velocity, etc...

Now for the bias...

Since there would be no real difference, I would go with the 7mm WSM, but I'm also a bigger fan of the 7mm calibers than I am the .30's. Althought I do own a number of different .30 caliber rifles in several differnt chamberings. I like them both, and you wouldn't go wrong with either caliber, but my bias pushes me towards 7mm calibers.

Now, because I don't own both, don't take my opinion as the God's honest truth....Because I don't know that to be fact.

I was just stating how my brain works on that.

I'm sure others can chime in with more experience with each caliber.

Never take just 1 persson's word for it. Always take it all in, and weight out the good from the bad, and make your own informed decision.

So, I would wait for others to chime in with their $0.02 before making up my mind.

I think most guys are moving to the Berger 215 and running those in the 3000 fps range you get an advantage in every category, the 7 WSM really needs a long action to breath or single loaded neither of which is an issue really. I shoot a 270 WSM with a 175 Matrix it will slightly out run the 7 WSM and I run a 300 Win and you'll see a difference, especially the more range you put on. For me I really, really like the 215 Berger so I'll build a 300 over a 7mm.

But still there cant be that much of a differance to make that much of a differance.................................................

Run a ballistic program to as far as you will shoot for both of them. I prefer the 7 over the 30 and doubt there is any quantifiable difference in their respective killing abilities. . But there may be some other reason to prefer one over the other.
Amount of powder burned per shot, availability of the components you want, recoil, throat life, ect. Ect.ect.
Will you do a full custom build or start with a factory or semi custom rifle. ???????????????

Comparing a .308 210 gr vs a .284 180 gr both with a 2950 muzzle velocity, the advantage for the .308 is energy. In every other category the .284 will have the advantage.

Now put a 215 Hybrid in the 300 win or a 230 Hybrid in the RUM , 30-378 or any larger cased 30 and watch the long range spanking begin in all aspects.

I have tested extensively. The best example is a 7mm-300 win, which I have built several, compared to a 300 win. Side by side in the field I clearly have a reason I still shoot the 300 win. Until the 195 Berger get to our hands that's just the way it is.

Jeff

There you have it Jeff spoke
let it be written!

I love my 7's but he's right the 30 is just gonna hit harder and with hunting that counts. You can judge wind and dope your scope, but you cant teleport 1000 yards away hit an animal harder

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.