So.... 6.5 PRC fliers.....

bluedog69

This is a new Savage Desert Tactical in 6.5 PRC. We got the gun in January loaded up some 123 gr Mid South Shooter bullets(Nosler 123s?), RL26, Lapua Brass, CCI LR Primers, and my 11 year old dropped about dozen dogs with that and a thermal. Hard to get good group indications with a thermal but the 123s seemed dang good.

So now we are trying to load 143gr ELD X for deer season. He was running around 3" at 120 yards so we cleaned the gun took the scope off and remounted & retorqued. We have tried 3 different powder charges of RL 26, and 4 different seating depths. Crazy part is we get 2 close or touching and then there is a third that ends up 3" to 3.5"
away from those. So far no rhyme or reason. Youth season is Saturday. Rifle has now had about 90 shots through it.

What next??? Some say LRM primers tightened up their groups. Some say 143s dont shhot very well, 147s shoot much better. New caliber, new rifle, little time.

Get a few factory round options to test for groups to hunt with, at least that's what I would do with no time left for load development.

I also have a 6.5prc and it shoots factory 143eldx and 147eldm lights out (for hunting purposes), ~1/2 moa. I would hunt with either of those bullets. I have also not had a problem finding factory accubond rounds available, but they have been notably more expensive than the Hornady rounds. They would still be good to test if you don't get acceptable group sizes with the Hornady options.

If you're determined to hand load for the hunt, I would try a different bullet. Eldm, Berger, ABLR, etc. There are lots of possibilities for trying to get your current combo working, but it seems like you don't have much time so it's hard to tell how much you can play with the combo to see if it does or doesn't work. Velocity ladders/nodes, seating depth ladders, different primers. Especially if you're working outside of SAAMI, changes should be approached cautiously which typically means more test rounds to safely build back up to where you expect to be for velocity with each change.

Get a few factory round options to test for groups to hunt with, at least that's what I would do with no time left for load development.

I also have a 6.5prc and it shoots factory 143eldx and 147eldm lights out (for hunting purposes), ~1/2 moa. I would hunt with either of those bullets. I have also not had a problem finding factory accubond rounds available, but they have been notably more expensive than the Hornady rounds. They would still be good to test if you don't get acceptable group sizes with the Hornady options.

If you're determined to hand load for the hunt, I would try a different bullet. Eldm, Berger, ABLR, etc. There are lots of possibilities for trying to get your current combo working, but it seems like you don't have much time so it's hard to tell how much you can play with the combo to see if it does or doesn't work. Velocity ladders/nodes, seating depth ladders, different primers. Especially if you're working outside of SAAMI, changes should be approached cautiously which typically means more test rounds to safely build back up to where you expect to be for velocity with each change.
You are 100% correct. Probably gonna have to go with a factory ammo of some type.
The 123 Mid South shoot tight but they are a target bullet....fine on coyotes...not sure on deer?

1) I need to try the 123s with this scope to verify scope is good. My boys swear the 143s didn't group with the thermal either????

2) Probably need to find factory ammo.

3) I sure hope we can find something suitable for deer that this gun will shoot bug holes with.

I am going to suggest this sounds like a bedding issue. Everything is cleaned, properly torqued and known good scope?
Scope could be issue. It is brand new. My boys say we shot a few of these 143s with the thermal on the gun and they didn't group with it either, so probably not the scope.

I do need to check bedding out. I think this gun has an aluminum bedding block in it from the factory.(not 100% sure)

Most of the fliers seem to be left or right, but we did have a couple of vertical spread groups as we fouled the barrel back in.

RL26 always does this to me too, happened in my 6.5 prc and my 6.5x284. I changed bullets in both and it fixed it, but I also switched the prc later to H1000 because I found more of it. In my 280 AI I was getting great speed but always a flier, switched to rl23 and never had one. I don't know what it is about rl26 but many people have the same issue.

Have you shot any factory ammo?
About 13 Nosler 140s. This was on initial few shots out of the gun. Sighting scope etc.
I think they were decent but can't remember. So we have 7 left. Hopefully I can find some
to match them if they shoot decent.

RL26 always does this to me too, happened in my 6.5 prc and my 6.5x284. I changed bullets in both and it fixed it, but I also switched the prc later to H1000 because I found more of it. In my 280 AI I was getting great speed but always a flier, switched to rl23 and never had one. I don't know what it is about rl26 but many people have the same issue.
Interesting, I may dig and see if I have any other powders to try.
I have about 7 lbs or so left of this RL26, but anything else will be
short on supply.

I second this. Potential bedding issue or barrel touching
Will check into this hopefully tonight. I knew this was a possibility, but assumed it should have been torqued from factory correctly, and the barrel/stock looks OK.
Thanks

I tried several powders in mine as well including RL26 and ended up going back to H-1000 with 140 accubonds. They shoot lights out in my rifle. Took four animals this spring in NZ with 4 (1) shot kills ranging from 312 to 487 yards. Arapawa Sheep up to a Beautiful Red Stag. The combo worked out great for me. This particular rifle did not shoot factory ammo worth a darn either. I tried the 143's and the 147's at the behest of the guide in NZ but could not get either to shoot well. I wouldn't think you should have any trouble trading some of that pixie dust (RL26) for some H-1000 in your area. Like VanHalen sing's "everybody wants some" and no retailers have it. Good Luck.

I tried several powders in mine as well including RL26 and ended up going back to H-1000 with 140 accubonds. They shoot lights out in my rifle. Took four animals this spring in NZ with 4 (1) shot kills ranging from 312 to 487 yards. Arapawa Sheep up to a Beautiful Red Stag. The combo worked out great for me. This particular rifle did not shoot factory ammo worth a darn either. I tried the 143's and the 147's at the behest of the guide in NZ but could not get either to shoot well. I wouldn't think you should have any trouble trading some of that pixie dust (RL26) for some H-1000 in your area. Like VanHalen sing's "everybody wants some" and no retailers have it. Good Luck.
I will give that load a try. I might have a little H1000 left.
EVH was truly a prodigy, and now my brain is stuck playing "Everybody Wants Some". LOL