SLC vs Ultravid vs HD thoughts

400bull

I was lucky enough to draw a unit 6 Nevada deer tag this year with one bonus point. I want to make the most of this trip because I don't think that I'll be so lucky again any time in the near future. I have convinced myself that I need to upgrade my Leupold Cascade 10X42 binos. I've been looking around and have decided that I going to drop the big Ka-change ($$$$) on a pair of Leica's Ultravids or Swarovski SLC. I just cannot decide which one to go with. Any thought on why I should get one over the other? Also is the newer HD glass worth the extra money if I will not be using the binos to take pictures with?

I am also undecided on which power to get, 8X or 10X? I have always had the 10X. But I have noticed while out comparing the 8x to the 10X binos that I get a little more shake in the image with the 10x then I do with the 8X. I would not say that the shake is bad but I have noticed that when reading small letters on signs 100 – 200 yards out the shake is bad enough that I may not be able to read the sign. When looking through the 8X I might have a better chance at reading the sign because I don't have the shakes even though the lettering is smaller. Hoping to make this a one and last time purchase I don't want to get it wrong. Any thoughts on what power I should get?

400bull

I recently did the same thing and went with the Zeiss Victory FL in 10x. I think the 10x would suite you better out west. Any of the top 3 (Swaro, Leica, Zeiss) are going to be good. Google comparisons and you'll come up with several sights. The bird watcher sights tend to have the best comparisons. My deciding factor was use with glasses which Zeiss are king although Leica is also good. The other factor that tipped the scale for me was the Zeiss came up on top in the 10x comparisons and their warranty is for the life of the binoculars so I can pass them down and still have a warranty for who inherits them. So far my Zeiss glass is phenomenal and the ergonomics are excellent. So the bottom line in my opinion is you can't go wrong with all three unless you wear glasses then you have 2 choices. Check out the comparisons.

Gordon

Leica and Swaro are like Fords and Chevys, it is just a personal preference. I would go with the 10x for hunting out this way.

As for the HD vs Non-HD, I don't know that it is worth the extra $$$. When I bought my swarovski spotting scope, I was in the same boat as you as to go for the HD or not. The salesman put it to me like this, if you plan on zooming in and taking digital pictures through the scope, get the HD...you will notice a difference. To the naked eye, there will only be very subtle differences between HD and non-HD, noticeable only when compared side by side. I ended up with a non-HD just for the cost savings.

I know that doesn't really translate to binos because I doubt you'd be doing any 'digiscoping' with binoculars, but still just some food for thought. I'd say look through a pair of each and compare them side by side for yourself, if you feel the HD is that much better and you can afford them, go for it.

I've tried comparing apples to apples but unfortunately the local Cabalas store does not have what I need to compare apples to apples. They have the SCL HD 8X42's and the older SLC 10X42's currently in stock. When I compare the two I cannot tell the difference optically other than the 8X42's have a wide FOV and are brighter. Both of which I would have expected with the 8's. The store clerk keeps trying to tell me that the HD's have better edge to edge clarity and explains to me how to tell the difference. For the life of me I cannot see any difference. As for the Lieca's they only have the HD model in stock.

400bull

If you can't see a difference, that should tell you something. I've done a lot of research on this as well. If you really want to learn about optics, visit the birdwatching forums. I learned a ton there. Basically learned that if you're not digiscoping, there really isn't a need for the HD lens.
I'd recommend going with the 10x. I little hint on glassing. While holding the binos, grab the bill of your hat too. Also, keep your elbows resting on your chest. Lastly, instead of moving the binos around, hold them still and move your eyes through the field of view using a checkerboard pattern.

Yeah the edge clarity is what comes in handy for the digiscoping. I don't know about you guys, but when I am glassing a bull or a buck, I have that bad boy in the center of the FOV, not the edges :rolleyes:

I have a lot swarvo glass, Bino, spotting scope, range finder, scopes. The reason I buy it is customer service. I had a brand XX fail on me and all I got was the run around. I have sent swarvo items in for service (some times my fault and somtimes theres) and never had a problame. I had a range finder die in the middle of a hunt and Swarvo red labeld me one and sent a call tag for the damaged one. I was down less then 24 hrs. A buddy of mine sent a set in for adjustment after having them for 6 years. It was after hunting season and they still offerd him a loaner. I dont think you can beat that kind of customer service, so that why I have my retirment in swarvo glass. I am not swarvo dealer, but I bet I am one of there best customers
Jason

Again referencing the bird watching forums, HD glass in mainly beneficial for helping with Chromatic Aberration not so much with edge to edge clarity and doesn't really do anything for making an image brighter. Chromatic Aberration usually only becomes a problem at higher magnifications (like in spotting scopes).
I'm a firm believer in not skimping when it comes to optics, but I also won't spend my money on something "my" eyes can't see. I would spend my money on some well made non-HD binos and take the extra money and apply it somewhere else.

I have the swaro 10x42 EL and I love them. What I recommend for anyone buying high end binos is for you to compare them side by side with your own eyes. Everyones eyes are different, and the bino that looks best to some may not to others. Pick from swaro, leica, zeiss, etc and you cant go wrong.

I went into look at the Leica 10x42 ultravids and fell in love with the SLC's instead they seem much clearer and brighter in low light.

i did the same thing a couple years back i ended up going with the 15x56 SLC's and a doubler so all i have to carrie is that no spotting scope needed and the 15 are so nice looking way out there. the best money i have ever spent on glass by far!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.