Swaro -- EL vs SLC

Bcoker

Can someone explain to me why you would pay the extra $400-$500 for the Swarovoki EL 10x42 compared to the 10x42 SLC???? Is there a difference in the optics or is it just the weight difference. There is only 3oz difference btw the EL (27oz) and SLC (30oz). I just don't see the justification for the EL price. Or should I just go up to the 10x50SLC?

If you run "search" using my name you will find I asked this question about 3 years ago. Some of the very best people responded. Good advice is hard to come by. You will have to make your own decision by the answers by the people were very good.

Not everybody will see the same results so take what I say with a grain of salt.

I own a pair of El's. I have used SLC's extensivly. I also have access to several SCL models. My eyes can tell the difference with minimal comparison. The EL's are noticably brighter to me. Whether or not there is any resolution differences or not, I am not sure. But they are much brighter objective for objective. It doesnt hurt that they are much lighter either.

Are they worth the extra coin? Only you can answer that. If $$ isnt an issue, then my opinion is they are worth it. If it is the difference between making your mortgage or not, then maybe and maybe not.

I will give you an example of how good the SLCs are. At 2300-2500 yards I found a lone cow elk in a clearcut that was dotted with tree stumps by the color difference alone. In a handheld mode using a shooting stick to steady them I could not verify that the thing I was seeing had legs and was actaully an elk but the color was certainly elk color and nto the color of the stumps. It was striking enough to get me to run for the spotting scope. With a spotting scope and the Night force rifle scope I was able to verify that it was indeed an elk and had no antlers.

In other words the color transmission is extraordinarily good. Resolution of fine detail at those ranges with it not on a tripod is problematic. I am sure Michael is correct that the ELs are better but as he says how good do you need and how good can you afford.

I will give you an example of how good the SLCs are. At 2300-2500 yards I found a lone cow elk in a clearcut that was dotted with tree stumps by the color difference alone. In a handheld mode using a shooting stick to steady them I could not verify that the thing I was seeing had legs and was actaully an elk but the color was certainly elk color and nto the color of the stumps. It was striking enough to get me to run for the spotting scope. With a spotting scope and the Night force rifle scope I was able to verify that it was indeed an elk and had no antlers.

In other words the color transmission is extraordinarily good. Resolution of fine detail at those ranges with it not on a tripod is problematic. I am sure Michael is correct that the ELs are better but as he says how good do you need and how good can you afford.

Youre right on BB, I sure was not trying to down play the SLC's, they are truly some of the finest binos in the world. The EL's may be a bit brighter and lighter in weight but there is nothing wrong with the SLC's and nobody needs to feel second rate for owning or using them.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.