Old Swaro SLC 15s vs new HD SLC 15s

Ltsheets

I have a pair of the old ones and am considering selling and upgrading to the new HDs but question if the improvement is worth it. Anyone out there who's done the upgrade and could speak on the differences, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I have the new swaro 15X HD and have used the old. The new ones are better. The clarity is the about same but the HD is a brighter and more crisp. IMO they aren't $1000 better for what the older ones sell for compared to brand new.

Hd seems to be more clear especially to the edges. Also, seems to be a brighter picture. The new hd version also closes tighter if you have a narrow face

The 12x50 Els are a better choice, I've run them both side by side and its the 12's all the way..

I think the added detail in the ELs is over comes the lower power in the 15's, it becomes a single binoc system instead of a multiple bino system because the 12s are hand holdable and work killer on a tripod. Having the additional FOV is really nice too.

Interesting thought. I was able to freehand my 15s well enough in Africa a few weeks ago.

Interesting thought. I was able to freehand my 15s well enough in Africa a few weeks ago.

I've ran them side by side on 3 different hunts (2 mule deer and 1 sheep) the consensus from 3 of us was the 12's were better after 15 days of testing. They just do detail and color a little better at distance.

That's really impressive. Something for me to consider for sure! It's just hard for me to fathom that something would have more detail than swaro HD 15s lol

I used el and SLC's and can't say I noticed much difference in glass. ELs are lighter and more comfortable. I prefer the extra power of 15x but they aren't much good without a tripod. 12x is a happy medium but at a cost. I would stick with the older 15s you have unless you feel the need to spend money on the better. Sometimes a guy just has to do that!!

I personally sold my old 15's and bought the new HD 15's. Couldn't be happier and very worth it in my opinion. There is a significant difference in reduced glare when looking toward the rising or setting sun and they are a fair bit more crisp edge to edge. I've hunted with people that have every top tier 15X glass and for now, I don't think they can be beat. Now if you're really looking for the best, get the 95mm spotter with the btx dual eye piece. I almost regret looking through my buddy's... I fear that little stunt will most likely cost me a pretty large chunk of change.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.