sizing die help

Typically you'll measure the outer case neck diameter with a bullet seated in the type brass you'll be using, and then subtract 0.002" for a start. I personally ordered bushings that were 0.001, 0.002, and 0.003" less than loaded case neck diameters for the calibers I use the bushing dies for. Hope that makes sense. Most suggest a starting point of 0.002" neck tension, but you can play with the bushings and amount of neck tension for best accuracy.

Geb

They don't do well with tight necked chambers as I learned the hard way. In a no turn setup they may work well. I have a .223, and a 22-250 with .246 necked chambers and typically want to use .243" or .244" brass in them. Can't get there
gary

Why not? Used correctly Lee's collet neck die makes the neck id the same no matter the neck wall thickeness, that's their whole point of existing!

Would you care to estimate what percentge of reloaders you believe may have, or care about, tight neck chambers anyway? My bet would be less than .01%, (that would be less than one reloader in 10,000) so even if you were right it hardly matters when you should KNOW it doesn't apply to the OP or he would have said so.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.