Shoulder bumping/ Neck sizing die help

bikehe

Getting close to fireforming all my 243 cases and dont want to FL size them. Just want to bump the shoulders .002-.003" and if its possible neck size. Can I buy a bushing neck sizing die and machine the OAL of the die down until I have the adjustment I need to bump the shoulder or am I asking too much. Just dont know if the neck sizing bushing dies can do both in one stroke of the press or whether I have to buy a full length die and machine out the neck and then buy a neck sizing die. Thanks for any info

Getting close to fireforming all my 243 cases and dont want to FL size them. Just want to bump the shoulders .002-.003" and if its possible neck size. Can I buy a bushing neck sizing die and machine the OAL of the die down until I have the adjustment I need to bump the shoulder or am I asking too much. Just dont know if the neck sizing bushing dies can do both in one stroke of the press or whether I have to buy a full length die and machine out the neck and then buy a neck sizing die. Thanks for any info
You're way over thinking this, either neck sizing or FL sizing is not your answer. You need to PARTIAL FL SIZE in a FL SIZING DIE to achieve what you want. If you want to use a FL die with a neck bushing, no mods will be necessary, work out what bushing size you need and adjust your die to give a .002" bump, simple. FYI, if you neck size only, you will eventually have to PARTIAL FL size anyway, as the cases will become tighter to chamber after a few firings.
You WILL need some sort of measuring device to determine how much bump you're giving your cases, guessing isn't good enough. I use either my RCBS Precision Mics or my Hornady headspace set, the Precision mic is more accurate in my experience, but the Hornady LnL gauge works.

Hope this answers your query adequately.

Cheers.
gun)

I may be wrong on this but I don't know of any neck sizing die that will bump the shoulder back. Everyone has there own preference for sizing cases. I guess you could just purchase one of the Redding Type S full length die with bushings. I don't know how well you can control the bump with that set up but know it would work.
I do my sizing in 2 parts. I bump the shoulder just enough to chamber easily then I follow up with Redding neck sizing die with bushing. I seems to stay pretty consistent for what I do. That's just how we do it. Again every one seems to have there system on what works best for them.

I may be wrong on this but I don't know of any neck sizing die that will bump the shoulder back. Everyone has there own preference for sizing cases. I guess you could just purchase one of the Redding Type S full length die with bushings. I don't know how well you can control the bump with that set up but know it would work.
I do my sizing in 2 parts. I bump the shoulder just enough to chamber easily then I follow up with Redding neck sizing die with bushing. I seems to stay pretty consistent for what I do. That's just how we do it. Again every one seems to have there system on what works best for them.

Forster. I have 1 and it is an excellent die. Bushing for the neck and bumps the shoulder.

Before I knew about the Forsterdie I do a bushing neck die and a body die. The body is from Redding and bumps the shoulder back as much as I desire by setting the cam over.

Like many I do a 2 step prep:

Body size and shoulder bump for easy bolt operation .001-.003
Neck size .002. Have not played with more or less neck tension yet.

MagnumManiac, yes Sir you are correct I was way over thinking this. I totally get it now after reading you explanation. I do have the hornady head space gauge set so I will get a die with neck bushings. Any suggestions on a brand, preferably bench rest quality that will bump the shoulders with neck bushings. BrentM I like forster too as have the FL for my 243 and 223, great dies.

You can't neck size and bump only with a standard FL die. Partial sizing with a FL die does not do this either.
You would not want a die where it's bushing FL sizes the neck and bumps shoulders, because there is nothing but bad in FL sizing of necks. And you can't use a standard bushing neck die to bump shoulders anyway.

You would need a bushing-bump die(if single die), or separate bushing neck die & separate body die(like others, this is what I use).

The Redding S type Bushing Sizer used in conjunction with the Redding Competition Shell Holder set will bump your fire formed brass in .002 increments. Measure head to datum on the case with something similar to the Hornady headspace gauge as a starting point. The shell holder set consists of shell holders from .010 to .002 above a standard holder. Follow the instructions and you can control shoulder bump smoothly. If you do not want to buy the shell holder set, you can do the samething by manually adjusting the die down in small steps, (starting from no sizing ) measuring case head to datum after each step. Do this til you have changed your shoulder the desired amount. This second way is will take more setup time and not be as easy to repeat if you remove your die and have to set it up again later.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.