Setting up Forster benchrest sizing die help

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by CRNA, Jan 9, 2011.

1. CRNA

CRNA Well-Known Member

I recieved my new Forster benchrest dies. The instructions for setting up the seating die seems pretty straight-forward. The sizing die though says to line up the hole in the die with the lower third of the ball expander. Question is.....how do I do this? The hole is much too small for seeing anything in there. How do you guys set these dies up? Meaning, how do you know that the ball expander is in it's proper position?

2. flashhole

flashhole Well-Known Member

The way I do it is by running the case up into the die before locking down the expander assembly. The primer push pin will go through the flash hole. Then I tighten the assembly. That's about as good alignment as you can get.

3. CRNA

CRNA Well-Known Member

You mean even before putting the die into the press right?

4. flashhole

No, I do it with the die in the press.

5. CRNA

CRNA Well-Known Member

So if I adjust the depth with the locking ring, to get the pin to come through the flashhole, then what do I adjust the top of the die for?

6. flashhole

The pin needs to protrude through the flash hole to a sufficient depth that it pushes the spent primer out of the case. That adjustment is done from the top of the die.

The two things you want adjusted with the expander assembly are the depth and you want it to be on center. Some dies are sloppy and need a bit of help to get properly aligned.

Another trick you can use to minimize runout is to run a lubed case up into the die before you tighten the die ring. It provides good axial alignment of the ram to the die.

I hope it goes without saying you have to lube your case before running it up into the die no matter what you are trying to adjust. I like Imperial Die Sizing Wax the best.

7. nheninge

nheninge Well-Known Member

Forster dies have small pressure/lube hole in the threads of their br dies. Put a small paperclip in the hole and adjust as they direct, looking up from the base of the die. test depth by sizing a piece of brass and see if it drops out the fired primer completely without going too deep.

8. CRNA

CRNA Well-Known Member

Ok, I think I got it. I will give it a try. Thanks for your help flashhole.

9. CRNA

CRNA Well-Known Member

But what are you adjusting with the paperclip? Sorry if I sound like a complete idiot with these questions, but in the past I have never had to adjust anything except the pin at the bottom that punches out the spent primer.

10. nheninge

Do NOT leave paper clip in place while sizing! Just use as reference point.

11. nheninge

Clip should b seen at lower third of expanded ball and still exclude primer

12. CRNA

CRNA Well-Known Member

A reference for what? That's the part I am foggy on. Ok, so I have my die in my press. I Put the ram in the full upright position, I adjust the screw on top to get the pin sufficiently through the flash hole to punch out the old primer. Now, what do I adjust after that?

13. CRNA

CRNA Well-Known Member

But how do I see that?

14. nheninge

Expander ball and extrude primer. Dang predictive text