Sized case won’t fit

Have the brass cases the OP used been "once fired" enough times that there is a need to be annealed ?
Would it be more difficult to "bump" Weatherby shoulders because of the rounded contours and/or the need for annealing ?
Would that ,( need for annealing), prevent the die from accepting the case fully ?

I have a new unfired Weatherby Vanguard 300wby mag I am trying to load for. I am using Nosler once fired brass (in a different gun). Using a Redding press and dies. When full length sizing I screwed the dies all the way down until it made firm contact with the shell holder but the cases still will not fit in the chamber. When I examine the case it appears the die does not sIze it all the way to the belt. Appears to be a little more than a 1/16" that is not sized. Not sure if the problem is the diameter of case near the belt or if it is the shoulder. Either way I cannot go any farther on my die adjustment. I looked inside the Redding die and it doesn't look like it is made to size all the way to the belt. I am no expert and early on the learning curve so appreciate your help. Thank you
You might check your primer seating depth .

I would screw the die down until the press cams over the top.Might be a quarter turn ,might be two turns.Your cartridge will fit then,After that you can just neck size and head space on the shoulder.You can also buy Redding shell holders that are over sized in height by different distances.It accomplishes the same thing it makes the press cam over.

I have a new unfired Weatherby Vanguard 300wby mag I am trying to load for. I am using Nosler once fired brass (in a different gun). Using a Redding press and dies. When full length sizing I screwed the dies all the way down until it made firm contact with the shell holder but the cases still will not fit in the chamber. When I examine the case it appears the die does not sIze it all the way to the belt. Appears to be a little more than a 1/16" that is not sized. Not sure if the problem is the diameter of case near the belt or if it is the shoulder. Either way I cannot go any farther on my die adjustment. I looked inside the Redding die and it doesn't look like it is made to size all the way to the belt. I am no expert and early on the learning curve so appreciate your help. Thank you
Check your neck diameter, you may have a tight chamber and need to neck turn you casings !

Call Redding and see what they say.

BTW:

1 - I don't see how a body die would help, I thought they were just a full length sizing die that didn't resize the neck.

2 - Grinding the shell holder or die will of course end up pushing back the shoulder more, so I don't see either of those as a solution.

3 - When you resize, look at the case with the ram all the way up. Is there a space between the shell holder and the die? If so, then "overcamming" the press might help. Try this - lube a case, put it in the shell holder, stick it in the die first removing the decapping assembly and compress the whole assembly in a vice until there is no space. That is the best you can do with any press. Knock out the case and see if that helps.

Call Redding and see what they say.

BTW:

1 - I don't see how a body die would help, I thought they were just a full length sizing die that didn't resize the neck.

2 - Grinding the shell holder or die will of course end up pushing back the shoulder more, so I don't see either of those as a solution.

3 - When you resize, look at the case with the ram all the way up. Is there a space between the shell holder and the die? If so, then "overcamming" the press might help. Try this - lube a case, put it in the shell holder, stick it in the die first removing the decapping assembly and compress the whole assembly in a vice until there is no space. That is the best you can do with any press. Knock out the case and see if that helps.

Beat me to it with #1. A body die as I understand it is used to bump the shoulder and size the body without sizing the neck. Body dies are normally used in conjunction with neck only dies such as the lee collet die when it becomes necessary to bump the shoulder back and therefore will not help the OP's situation

Also, before modifying dies or shell holders, I would check to see how much shoulder bump you are currently getting. I would guess you are already bumping the shoulder sufficiently if not too much. If this is the case, running the case in farther will do more harm than good.

The next solution would be to just buy new brass so when fired in the new gun, they wouldn't grow as much above the belt and should chamber for the life of the brass if you don't go too high on pressure. This new brass would no doubt chamber in the old rifle, but brass fired in the old rifle would have to be kept separate, with different bullets loaded for each gun maybe?

The easiest solution to me though would be to buy the Larry Willis Die to size above the belt and then you wouldn't have to worry about which brass was fired in which rifle.

Well guys thanks for all the advice. The shoulder bump is right where I want it, the cases are not primed, I have the die/shellholder interface as far as they can go. I don't want to have two sets of brass if possible, I know that will be a problem at some point and most likely when it really matters. I contacted Redding and they offered to look at the die etc but really had no useful information that was not already mentioned on this thread. Soooo... in conclusion Larry Wilson Die is on the way. I might add that the person at Redding said there have been issues with the Larry Wilson Die method but not much help on what the issues were. Again thanks for sharing your knowledge/expertise

I confused on your worry of have 2 different brass for 2 different rifles.

If you have 2 rifles in the same cartridge, you ultimately should have 2 different brass to keep separate anyway? Both chambers are not the same. It would be no different than keeping them separated by number of firings?

Simple fix in my opinion.

Good luck
Steve

Well guys thanks for all the advice. The shoulder bump is right where I want it, the cases are not primed, I have the die/shellholder interface as far as they can go. I don't want to have two sets of brass if possible, I know that will be a problem at some point and most likely when it really matters. I contacted Redding and they offered to look at the die etc but really had no useful information that was not already mentioned on this thread. Soooo... in conclusion Larry Wilson Die is on the way. I might add that the person at Redding said there have been issues with the Larry Wilson Die method but not much help on what the issues were. Again thanks for sharing your knowledge/expertise
One last thought on the brass that's causing the problem : It may be too far gone to ever resize the base area completely. After using the Willis die, run your cases thru the gauge on top to verify they are sized down.

If they don't go into the gauge, new brass should be used and checked every firing in the gauge. If it doesn't slide to the belt, use the collet die to size that area. Good luck.

Did you check if the bolt would close on the case before sizing? If it will, you pushed the shoulder back to far. It's happened to me. I've never once seen a belted case that needed FL sized To chamber after one firing..
edit: I see it's from a different gun so could happen.

See if a lyman makes a shell checker for the caliber if so it will tell you using the shell checker whether or not your dies are sizing all the way to the bottom of the belt Hope it helps just a suggestion something else to think about

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.