Sized case won’t fit

http://www.larrywillis.com/ is the site.
This was mentioned above. He makes a Belted Magnum Collet Die and has a lot of FAQ's posted. That is a $100. + die that will work on all belted magnums. I would try a Redding Body Die first, 'cause it's cheaper. That is unless you have a number of different belted magnum calibers to work on. If you are concerned about bumping the shoulders back too far, you should get a measurement from tight against the belt to the datum on cases that absolutely fit your chamber. That way you can compare.

My thoughts are the "dimensions" are not the problem. It is the dies not sizing all the way to the belt?

A Cheap experiment would be to grind a couple thousands of the face of your shell holder, so you can screw the die down a little more . This will size the case more and maybe push the shoulder back a touch. Then see if the case will chamber. I have seen this problem with multiple Weatherby rifles.

My suggestion would be to just start with new brass in this rifle and save the cases fired in the other rifle for that rifle.

Good luck
Steve

A Cheap experiment would be to grind a couple thousands of the face of your shell holder, so you can screw the die down a little more . This will size the case more and maybe push the shoulder back a touch. Then see if the case will chamber. I have seen this problem with multiple Weatherby rifles.
This will likely not work very often on a belted case, as most FL dies are beveled on inside of base of die. Though some have less or more bevel, you would have to grind a lot off the shell holder and probably still not size the area immediately above the belt. Also, one result could be excessive shoulder bump.

The OP stated that he screws down his die until it contacts the shellholder.

I always contact the shellholder and then screw the die down another 1/4 of a turn to have cam-over to size the base.

Am I missing something here?

Ingwe

The OP is concerned about bumping shoulders too much. Typically the die makes directions as you described will get the most resizing possible. Which is probably what the OP needs to do if he wants to use the brass fired from another rifle. Basically resize as much as possible.

Steve

Ingwe

The OP is concerned about bumping shoulders too much. Typically the die makes directions as you described will get the most resizing possible. Which is probably what the OP needs to do if he wants to use the brass fired from another rifle. Basically resize as much as possible.

Steve

Thanks for the response! So are you saying that when you screw down and then go another 1/4 turn you are bumping the shoulder down more....as opposed to just screwing down until contact is made?

So how do you avoid bumping the shoulder down and STILL size the entire base/case??

Do YOU go 1/4 yourself or just to contact?

I'm pretty new at this too;)

Do some experimenting by trying different fixes suggested here. It won't fix itself. Will it chamber new brass or new ammo? If not then I would be calling Weatherby. Try the 1/4 turn more. Or try grinding the shell holder. Or trim the neck. Sometimes it only takes a little more sizing to fit. Every gun is different. This would be a challenge to me to figure it out.

When I shot 7 RM, I couldn't bump the shoulder because it wouldn't size the base. I had to bottom it out. The 1/16" right above the belt never sized and never was an issue. It would get tight 1/4" up from the belt.

I know a guy who bought a bunch of once fired brass and had issues with it. I looked it over and it was pretty clear it had been reloaded a few times. Using a sharpie on the case is a good idea to tell you where its binding.

Is your shell holder the same brand as the dies? I know most shell holders vary a few thousands but different manufactures can vary slightly more. Redding makes the competition shell holders as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.