Sierra matchking performance on game

Hunt_4life

19450E6C-643E-4E21-B656-5A6E21DAE61B.jpeg
Hi all. Wasn't able to find much info on this subject before my general deer season started on nov 8 so I decided to test out the matchkings on deer. I'm shooting a 183 smk from a 26" 7 wsm @ 2860. I shot this big bodied whitetail at 180 yd impact velocity 2575 fps. It had a tiny entrance hole and the exit was 3-4" in diameter. This is my biggest buck so I'm glad I could test the load out on something other than a doe. I hit about 2" further back than I should've but that because i held wind when I shouldn't have. Ran 50yd with a great blood trail. I'm hoping to test it out on something past 500 yd. I will get some pictures of the entrance and exit wounds later today. Please post your experiences with smks and hunting on here. Thanks for your comments

Given what I've observed on media other than game, a SMK is about the last bullet I would shoot an animal with.

Bullet threads are fun, everybody shares anecdotes and argues and does their own thing at the end of the day.

Congrats on the deer and clean harvest.

Not a SMK but "Target" bullet none the less. I was given grief when I posted if anyone else used a Berger 22-55 gr Flat Base Target for chucks and varmints even though it is marketed as "Flat base target bullets are popular for shooters looking to shoot the tightest groups at short ranges but also work well for taking down varmints.". Used it in my 22-250 for a 583 yard chuck, worked just fine.

SMK threads are always fun, right up there should I carry a handgun or bear spray..............:)

I've the following on game over the years, I've zero issues with them:

220 Swift/52 on lopes
25/06/100 on lopes
270/135 on lopes and deer
7mm/150 on lopes, deer and elk (furthest to 550, it bounced)
30/168 on lopes, deer, and elk
338/250 on elk

I often wonder how Sierra would be marketing them if it wasn't for their military contracts. Just a thunk eh

I have used Si MK 107 6.5 mm's on rodents at MV's about 3,400 from a 6.5-06. Nothing spectacular but no pencil stuff on 5-8 pound rockchucks. I found one 6.5 107 resting on soft dirt from a 450 yard shot that was bent into a shallow U shape with core intact. The 107 6.5 has a low FF, real pointy & is surprisingly good at longish ranges. Almost 1/4 of total bullet length of the front of the 107, 6.5 is hollow (void).

Some of the 175 gr. .308 Si MK's I have seen have closed hollow points - just guessing if this is intended for military use.

Found some .338 300 grain bullets in pristine condition except for rifling engraving at my old range after the snow melted. Some local guys used them to shoot elks with .338 Edge's.

Last edited:
Lot of guys shot the 300 in 338,because there where very few choices years ago.And many game killed.I have friends that regular shot elk over 900 with 300 lapua, they both say they got better groups than berger and some years there 338 NM take 3-4 elk a season.

Glad it worked out for you. But next time choose another projectile designed for harvesting game.
This was the only bullet I had access to other than 162gr sst and I am not a fan at all of the ballistic performance since they completely explode with no exit wound. Seems like this bullet works great on thin skinned game.