VLD performance on game?

Deadeye Ruck

Just got finished shooting and i recovered a 115 gr VLD out of my 25-06 at about 250 yards. The bullet was completely mushroomed but the core hadn't seperated from the jacket. I haven't weighed it but i'd say weight retention was probably only about 30-40% which in my book would constitute some pretty dramatic expansion. I shot a groundhog with one of these about a month ago and it picked him up and threw him back off of a rock at about 300 yards. I figured it'd just pass through the groundhog leaving a caliber sized hole. Instead, it left pretty dramatic damage for a match bullet. The ground the ground in which the bullet was recovered from is free of rocks as well so i know it didn't hit a rock. Anyone ever hunted with these things? I dont plan on it other than for the occasional groundhog (i normally shoot them with 85gr Ballistic tips) but i was just curious. Any accompanying pictures would be appreciated as well. If your interested, i could probably manage to take a picture of the bullet recovered.

Ruck,

I intend to work up a load with the 115 berger soonish ,i'll be using them for longrange coyotes.
I'd like to see your bullet if you feel like posting it.
I'm hoping the 115 VLD will make an all around longrange load for my 25-06. Mike

I have only shot 2 doe antelope with vld's but both performed well. The first kill was with my 6.5-.284 and the 140 grain berger vld at 1030 yards and it caused massive destruction. It hit about 3 inches up from the brisket and ripped a gaping hole clear through her chest about 8 inches long. She went about 10 yards and fell over.
No pics of it. They accidentally got erased. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The second doe I killed was with my 6br improved and the 95 grain berger vld. It was a front chest shot and it entered, broke the leg bone, then proceeded on into the rib cage where it broke 4 ribs before exiting the chest on the opposite side of the damaged ribs. She amazingly ran about 50 yards before skidding to a halt.
I tend to think still that the VLD's are better left for 400+ yard hunting as their jackets are very thin, but on thin skinned game at longer ranges I think they can do quite well.
Here's the doe and distance:
brkill.jpg

Here is the broken ribs. My muzzle velo was about 3050 fps:
brokenribs.jpg

Ruck
An alternative to this is the Wildcat 125ULD. I posted the results recently with 3 Mule Deer & 6 Antelope. I believe
this bullet would give you more latitude, I have some concern that the bullet you are looking at may be soft up
close as Goodgrouper mentioned. The 125 worked well up close
& over 400 yards on this trip & I believe that it will expand enough way out there for Varmits, (hope to know next summer) & do great Target work. I won't give a BC estimate, # 1 I am not sure yet & if I was I still wouldn't say as I have seen the results of doing that, but it appears to fly about like a 200 Gr. 30Cal. MK at the same approx. speed if that helps. The only thing to watch is shooting big Deer up close in the shoulder, but up close I don't have to. The results given was in My Sendero 25-06AI at 3,250 FPS.

Just a thought: Rod Smith

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts