sierra 39 grain blitzkings vs 32 grain hornady z-max

KzDurango

honest question here which of these 2 bullets do you guys prefer ?

Do the 39 grain sierra blitzkings out perform the lighter 32 grain in the hevier wyoming winds on prairie dogs ?

I havent shot the 39 gr in my 20VT but I did test the 32 BK against the Berger 32 HP. The berger shot groups measured in thousandths of an inch. Havent touched the BK since. Berger also makes a 39 gr, which I have but never tested them.

Never shot Sierra 39's.

32 grain bullets at 4000 fps plus are what made the .204 R popular. I shoot 40's because at 300 yards plus the 40's have equal or more velocity than the 32's & the gap opens up from 300. Wind effects are less with 40's. Impact effects & hit frequency using 32 bullets would be greater on heavier prairie dogs with lighter winds and shorter ranges like 150 - 200 yards..

The 32's are great for point, shoot, & spot up to 300, zippy velocities give super flat trajectories & hi-vel impact effects. Most .204 rifles are 12 twist and shoot 32's well.

Last edited:
Never shot Sierra 39's.

32 grain bullets at 4000 fps plus are what made the .204 R popular. I shoot 40's because at 300 yards plus the 40's have equal or more velocity than the 32's & the gap opens up from 300. Wind effects are less with 40's. Impact effects & hit frequency using 32 bullets would be greater on heavier prairie dogs with lighter winds.

The 32's are great for point, shoot, & spot up to 300, zippy velocities give super flat trajectories & hi-vel impact effects. Most .204 rifles are 12 twist and shoot 32's well.
THANK YOU

Do the 39 grain sierra blitzkings out perform the lighter 32 grain in the hevier wyoming winds on prairie dogs ?
Yes, they do better in wind on average due to the hang time (BC). If you have a good no wind group with both, then take both out in the wind and the waterline will be smaller with the 39.
You can play with a ballistic solver and set up the question based on the high-low wind value to see the issue so you don't have to take my word for it.

ETA: If a barrel groups really well with a 32, and really bad with a 39 or 40, then you go with the one that shoots best for that barrel since there would be no point to shooting the 39 at distance in wind if it doesn't group.

Recent Posts