side focus issue

clemens

i have a Nikon 6x18x40sf fine cross hair with dot. the side focus knob is a bit stiff to turn any idea what causing this? Scope is on a savage mod 12. scope works fine just the side focus is stiff. Thinking about sending back to Nikon for repair even though I don't like the Reticle. Thought about selling but don't want to sell some one else the problem. Any idea's or suggestions is most welcome thanks.

Sounds to me like a dry sealing 'o' ring or dry threads. Try removing the turret and applying some silicone grease to the 'o' ring and see if that makes it easier to turn. A tiny drop of light oil (like 3-1) on the treads of the mechanism might help as well. just a tiny drop, no more.

I us dielectric grease on 'o' rings. It's available in an auto parts store in the electrical section. Great for any exposed electrical connection too.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.