Shoulder problems - need prone help

tlk

I have been diagnosed with loose shoulder ligaments, on top of a collar bone impingement issue. In and out of socket, especially at recoil. Is there a way I can tighten up my shoulder muscles/change position without causing neck issues or fatique? I REALLY want surgery to fix this to be the last thing I do. Collar bone tip has got to come off, but fixing the ligaments is a BIG DEAL.

Shooting is not the only thing affected, but it is a hobby that I do enjoy so I want to find a way to work around this issue.

Thanks for any help you can give.

TLK.

A few thoughts...

I would suggest that you minimize recoil with a smaller caliber, extra weight, and a muzzle break or suppressor.

Get a good stock with an adjustable cheek piece and length of pull.

A good trigger will ease tension and strain.

Optics that permit extra eye releif and with excellent optical quality and magnification will also cut down on strain.

Switch from right to left hand or vice-versa if that makes it more comfortable for you.

If you have the option to do so, shooting from a burm with your feet and body slightly below the rifle may cause less stress on your neck and back.

NRA high power shooters wear a shooting jacket. I've never used one. But, they may be able to comment on whether that would help you for shooting prone.

Hope this helps.
-- richard

I think my dad and father in law had the same basic issues as it sound like you do, they fought it for years and seeing how much easier they shoot and function after getting it fixed made it clear to me that it's worth fixing sooner than later. I haven't seen them shoot or do anything for that mater this well or in less pain in years.

Are you doing any physical therapy for the shoulders now? Could help quite a bit. I liked the answers/suggestions from rscott & bigngreen too.

Went through shoulder problems of my own a few years ago. PT helped, then the shoulder finally gave way and I tore muscles & ligaments off. Surgery fixed that. Then more PT got things tight and squared away again. After continuing a good exercise program I have virtually full range of motion, very little pain and most of my strength has returned. Last year I was able to shoot a .375 H&H quite often at 300 yards, prone - no problem.

Best of luck. Guy

I have a bunch of micro tears in my shoulder what has helped me is I got myself a shooting vest. Then added a piece of 1/4 sleeping matte behind the padding that is already there I can now shoot for hours without much discomfort you might give it a try.

So I bit the bullet and got the shoulder worked on. Only had the collar bone tip cut off and a bone spur/debridement out of my elbow. Had a minor infection 10 days later in the elbow, but it seems to have been taken care of.

Would I do it again? So far, absolutely. Lots of PT, but that was a known. A big upshot to this is that I am using the PT to stop, drop and rehab both shoulders and see if we can tighten them up with the exercises. Luckily I have a therapist who is on the same page as I am regarding this.

There is no prone or heavy caliber shooting for a long while. For now it is training with a 22 and I think I will go back and revist all the basics while I am here. Might as well make good use of the time.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.