Prone

ENCORE

Ok, old guy here that has never shot prone, ever.

My interest in shooting prone has increased, so this old heavy guy is trying to learn the basics BEFORE sending a lot of money down the drain.
My rifle is fairly heavy at 12.5# and even with a brake, the recoil is not for the faint of heart.
I've been working in the house on the carpet with the rifle and bipod. I've watched enough instructions to be able to "get behind" the rifle, have what I feel is a good stock (butt) placement in the shoulder pocket. I've adjusted the cheek piece to where when I get down on the rifle with my eyes CLOSED, I can open my eye and look directly through the center of the scope. I assume that's correct?
What I notice every time, is when I put the slightest amount of pressure on the trigger, the crosshairs ALWAYS move up and away from the POA. My trigger breaks at 12oz.
I've tried changing the butt's location in the shoulder, that didn't matter. Not gripping tight, keeping only 3 fingers on the grip and thumb along side out of the way.
Without actually seeing my form, etc., anyone know why when I start on the trigger (Jewell) my crosshairs rise from the POA???

PS...…… old pudgy guy is a little uncomfortable arching his back :)

What are you using for the rear? Is you hand squeezing a rear support or are you making a fist to be the support? "Soft butt" is the biggest problem I've seen with new prone shooters. A .010" rise in the muzzle can throw your shot over the top of an animal at 800 yards.

Our weather has prevented much chance to shoot and the only 2 days it hasn't rained, law enforcement has had the club's range rented. When I start I'll be using a Protektor rear support. I will then have to graduate to no rear support.
Rear support is not allowed in the competition I may do next year.

Without having observed your prone position, it hard to diagnose exactly what's going on, but for the crosshairs to move when squeezing your light trigger, it sounds like rearward pressure of the grip hand is insufficient, and possibly, your downward cheek weld pressure on the comb too hard. Apply "moderate/straight" rearward pressure with your grip....until your crosshairs do not move with trigger pressure. This pressure needs to be remembered/consistent, once established. Trigger pressure should be straight back with the middle of the finger tip "well centered" on the trigger shoe. The cheek weld should apply NO pressure on the comb....simply allow the fleshy part of your cheek to conform to the comb. Your rifle has more then sufficient weight to provide a stable platform. "Lightly" load your bipod with forward movement of your upper body, and, as mentioned in previous posts, be sure your rear test is firm, allowing the rifle to recoil straight back. If your are uncomfortable or straining when shooting at the rifle height(bipod length), increase the overall height of the bipod and rear bag to start out. In time your body will get used to shooting prone. Just some thoughts. For hunting, it's not a bad idea to practice with high bipod positions.......to avoid hitting grass, etc.
Just some thoughts and aspects that I found helped when I had started out. With practice, you should be able to match(come close) to your bench accuracy, and position from prone, second nature.

Great write up. One thing I do differently is more cheek pressure to keep "soft butt" from occurring in the field and allowing the neck to sit in shooting position longer.

Great write up. One thing I do differently is more cheek pressure to keep "soft butt" from occurring in the field and allowing the neck to sit in shooting position longer.
Yes....Cheek pressure is a "variable" that IMO, plays heavily into stock design and the physical make-up of the individual shooter. Monitoring POI-consistence against cheek pressure can establish the degree needed for a given shooter.Consistent pressure is more important then how much. Lighter/no cheek pressure is generally easier to duplicate, but not a necessity.if consistency is good, and the greater pressure accommodates other factors.

This is what I'm shooting and it has VERY heavy recoil.
LOP was measured accurately. Adjustable cheek piece.

IMG_1759.JPG

Compare your poi with that heavy rear bag v prone with a field bag. My experience is the field bag requires more cheek pressure to keep the bag from squishing and raising the muzzle. I know it seems obvious but I forget a lot of obvious stuff when a big animal is in my crosshairs

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.