Should I Make Mine a Custom…?

Thank you very much to everybody for the great responses. I'm very glad to hear from others who have been down the same road.

I never really considered buying all the parts before and then having someone build it for me. I don't know much about how to pick the best parts (brand, maker, etc.) if I were to go this route but it does sound doable with some research and information from this site.

My goal is to get one rifle and one load that I can shoot/hunt with exclusively and keep for a very longtime… at least until I'm too wore out to climb the hills and mountains anymore.

I do not need or want the latest and greatest "cool" tactical name stuff.

I do not have a donor 700 action I'm willing to part with, whatever way I go, I will be needing a new action.

Maybe I should talk with some custom builders and some gun smiths to learn more about the different options they offer? Can you guys recommend some good, small operation and very personal, custom builders (not the big guys with all the ads)? Can you also recommend some good, small operation and very personal, gun smiths?

Finally, how about recommendations for the following: Maybe good, better, best type recommendations to give me an idea. And what are the most important parts to maybe go with the better option over the others?

Barrel
Action
Stock
Trigger
Base/Rings

As you can see, I'm very new to this but thank you all for the feedback.

Finally, how about recommendations for the following: Maybe good, better, best type recommendations to give me an idea.And what are the most important parts to maybe go with the better option over the others?

Barrel
Action
Stock
Trigger
Base/Rings

As you can see, I'm very new to this but thank you all for the feedback.
You will get a lot of different responses to these questions as everyone generally sports different opinions based on personal experiences. But here is what components I would use if it were my build...

Barrel - Bartlein

Action - Rem 700 or Rem 700 clone (custom) like a Defiance, Stiller, Curtis, etc...

Stock - Manners.

Trigger - Jewell or Timney

Base/Rings - EGW HD base, Seekins Precision rings

I think their web site says 8-10 weeks.

From the time I ordered it, probably about 1.5 weeks after that I sent them my barreled action…and I got the barrel back and installed. Total elapsed time from clicking "ORDER" on their web site to getting back in my hands completed couldn't have been much more than 6 weeks. I got it back late November this year, so I don't know if business is slower during hunting seasons, but I thought they were very fast.

It turned out great! I had even sent them dummy rounds to custom cut the throat to Berger bullets.

Awesome thank you!!

My SA rem 700 is at the smith as we speak. Barrel is on its way to him, bartlein #9 8 twist, 6.5 cal. Bolt was ordered early last week from PtG after having my action gauged, Jewell trigger already sits under the action, HS precision stock has been opened up to fit the 7# barrel, reamer cut to my specs is in the safe for when the barrel arrives. All in all, after truing the action, chambering and threading the barrel, and the cost for parts will run me around $1500. If I added the trigger and stock prices, which I have acquired over the last couple years, I would be right at $2k for the rifle.

Going from 220 swift to .260 rem for my first foray into custom work and get my feet wet in f-class. This was the first rifle I ever bought 12 years ago, the barrel has seen 3000+ rounds, it was tired and the gun holds a special place in my heart. The swift got me into long range shooting, now I will get to experience high bc bullets and play with a mostly custom gun. Eventually, when I hit the lottery, I will be able to put nice glass on it but for now my vortex still gets the job done and tracks well.

I agree with mudrunner for parts choices.
As for smiths where abouts do you live if you don't mind saying?
I only ask because I would personally use a reputable smith that is close enough to my house so as I could meet with them face to face and discuss work being done and see some of the smiths work firsthand.
Bartlien barrels put my gun together for me and did a great job!
So good that they are building another for me right now.
Their shop is only 10 minutes from my house and I found being able to stop in and talk with them when I had questions was super nice.

Given the parameters and budget you outlined I would suggest looking at a Cooper Excalibur. They offer a 1/2 MOA accuracy guarantee, have great adjustable triggers, synthetic stocks, and would leave you with a healthy budget for a good scope. If you want to shoot accurately at longer ranges a really good scope is required.
I've had 5 Coopers, and still have two. I sold the other 3 because I had high grade wood on them and couldn't bring myself to rough up that fancy wood and cut checkering by elk hunting with them.

All of my Coopers made half-MOA or better.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.