Should I Make Mine a Custom…?

Full Curl

Hi guys. I'm at the point I want to take my long-range shooting to the next level and am looking for some good advice on which direction to go with a rifle. I know there are many threads on this subject but here's my own personal scenario.

I'm a hunter and want an all-around rifle for hunting most western US big game species. Doesn't have to be ultralight but weight is a consideration as I will do some pack hunting from time to time, but nothing too extreme or very often. Maybe something around 9lbs loaded with scope? I want something that is consistent let's say out to 600 to 700 yards. I don't need a sub 0.25 inch 100yd MOA gun that will win bench rest competitions, I just want something to perform well in hunting situations out to that 600-700 yard range. I'm not a bells and whistles type of guy and like things that are simple, dependable, and last a very long time.

I'm not set on caliber and don't want this discussion to focus on caliber, but I tend to like the .284 to .300 choices.

So my question is what do you guys with a lot more knowledge and experience than I have recommend…

(1) go the custom build route or
(2) buy factory and make some substantial accuracy improvements accordingly?

Either option, I would like to stay under $3k to $4k total package with scope included.

I've been doing some research and found the following thread that really got me thinking…

[URL]http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/no-click-lr-carry-gun-48155/[/URL]

There's a lot of good information and I'd say I'm the guy that doesn't need to spend the money for a custom 1000 yard rifle to get a 600 yard hunting rig if it's not necessary. I've talked to a few custom builders over the last few months and the one at the top of my list right now is Dallas Lane. I just don't know if I need a complete custom build or not for what I'm looking for. I also don't have any really good gunsmiths locally where I live that I'm aware of so if I went the factory/improvement route, I might be shipping that as well.

I should also add that I load my own shells and am most familiar with the Remington 700 bolt action platform as I've shot it most of my life.

Any advice would be really appreciated. If anybody recommends the custom route… contact information for recommended builders would be appreciated as well. I really would like to stay away from the "big" guys who do lots of advertising on TV and in magazines and find a small shop that really focuses on me as a customer. Even for the non-custom build route, please feel free to provide me information on a good shop that I can send a rifle to and have them perform the work for me.

Please feel free to message me anything you would rather not post.

Thanks guys.

I've only built one semi-custom rifle, but my design goals were very similar. 6-700 yard carry/hunting rifle, for deer/elk/pronghorn.

I kind of built mine over time. It started life as a rem 700 stainless 270 win. It was fine as a factory rifle. I added a Bell & Carlson stock, and that made things more consistent. Couple years later I added a Timney trigger, which was a very nice addition. Last year I upgraded my VX2 to a VX3 3.5-10 scope.

It was a solid .7 MOA rifle at that point, but the factory barrel had a HUGE amount of freebore, and I could never get the speed I thought i should have. Plus the 1:10 twist inherently limited bullets for longer range shooting.

This year, I finally added a Pac Nor barrel in 280 Ack (they did the install on my action as well). In fact, tomorrow I'm hoping to take it out for it's first firing. I haven't even broken in the barrel yet.

SO, long story short, I didn't spend anywhere near 3-4k on that build, and I did it over 3 or 4 years. I also did all the work myself (not much to it really) except for the barrel installation. I do feel it's very capable to 6-700 yards.

Good luck!

My thoughts.
A year ago I would say I was asking those same questions.
So here is what I did.
I decided to sell all my extra guns that I didn't ever shoot to fund a custom build.
My thoughts were that I wanted 1 very good gun that I would use all the time and get good at using it.
Here are some of the pros and cons that I found with doing what I did.
Cons
Having a custom built is addictive and very expensive! [ having another built already ]
I didn't have any idea what I was getting till I got it. [ example ] you don't get to hold your new manners stock with your new custom barreled action and dry fire you new timney trigger until you spend the $
So it is really hard to know what stock to pick out.
What barrel contour?
What barrel length ?
How heavy are all the new parts going to be when they are in rifle form?
Do you like a detachable box mag that hangs out the bottom of gun?
Or is a plain old hinged floor plate what you want?
I guess my point is it is hard to know exactly what you want without a little trial and error which in custom gun terms means spending lots more money.
Pros
A custom gun is awesome!
If the right parts are used and the person who builds it is good at their job you will have a very very accurate rifle.
Enough said!!
A factory rifle is a great choice with a little luck you could buy a new one that shoots great already. If not rebarreling and some other small dollar mods you should be able to get a great shooting rifle for way less money.
Its a tough choice!!
I really think it comes to what you want to spend and what you are going to expect out of the finished product.
If you have the money and want the best there is go full custom.
If you want to save some money do a factory rifle you might end up sticking a lot into it over time with upgrades to get exactly what you want.
I don't see you going wrong either way though.

My thoughts.
A year ago I would say I was asking those same questions.
So here is what I did.
I decided to sell all my extra guns that I didn't ever shoot to fund a custom build.
My thoughts were that I wanted 1 very good gun that I would use all the time and get good at using it.
Here are some of the pros and cons that I found with doing what I did.
Cons
Having a custom built is addictive and very expensive! [ having another built already ]
I didn't have any idea what I was getting till I got it. [ example ] you don't get to hold your new manners stock with your new custom barreled action and dry fire you new timney trigger until you spend the $
So it is really hard to know what stock to pick out.
What barrel contour?
What barrel length ?
How heavy are all the new parts going to be when they are in rifle form?
Do you like a detachable box mag that hangs out the bottom of gun?
Or is a plain old hinged floor plate what you want?
I guess my point is it is hard to know exactly what you want without a little trial and error which in custom gun terms means spending lots more money.
Pros
A custom gun is awesome!
If the right parts are used and the person who builds it is good at their job you will have a very very accurate rifle.
Enough said!!
A factory rifle is a great choice with a little luck you could buy a new one that shoots great already. If not rebarreling and some other small dollar mods you should be able to get a great shooting rifle for way less money.
Its a tough choice!!
I really think it comes to what you want to spend and what you are going to expect out of the finished product.
If you have the money and want the best there is go full custom.
If you want to save some money do a factory rifle you might end up sticking a lot into it over time with upgrades to get exactly what you want.
I don't see you going wrong either way though.

I had a similar experience but I was less hesitant than it sounds like you may have been regarding touching and feeling it before I bought.

I wanted something similar, but maybe 500 and in with deer the primary target with an occasional elk. I spent time to find the right builder with a trusted track record and put the rest in his hands. I gave him a target weight and my intended use, then we discussed options. I wanted a 10lb gun with scope. We went with a 30-06, 24" barrel, and McMillan stock...barrel contour was whatever would put me at about 10 lbs.

I couldn't be happier. I caught the bug to have anoth custom built, but after using it this season for the first time, I realized I don't remotely need another gun. I had considered a short action in maybe 260 but it really won't do anything that my current gun won't other than recoil a little less. And I will get to know this gun better if I shoot it exclusively.

If this is something you will keep for a long time then I wouldn't worry too much about cost - what I mean by that is that if the difference is small enough (amounts vary by person) then I would get a custom exactly how you want it and keep it forever. I have heard nothing but exceptional things about LPR and Dallas was on my short list of builders, along with Kirby Allen and Darrell Holland.

There is something special (for me at least) about having a gun EXACTLY the way you want it with no guesswork as to whether it will shoot lights out. That doesn't come cheap, but for me it was worth it.

Lots of low round count customs for sale on this site, if you watch a bit can find exactly what you want for good deal

I've only built one semi-custom rifle, but my design goals were very similar. 6-700 yard carry/hunting rifle, for deer/elk/pronghorn.

I kind of built mine over time. It started life as a rem 700 stainless 270 win. It was fine as a factory rifle. I added a Bell & Carlson stock, and that made things more consistent. Couple years later I added a Timney trigger, which was a very nice addition. Last year I upgraded my VX2 to a VX3 3.5-10 scope.

It was a solid .7 MOA rifle at that point, but the factory barrel had a HUGE amount of freebore, and I could never get the speed I thought i should have. Plus the 1:10 twist inherently limited bullets for longer range shooting.

This year, I finally added a Pac Nor barrel in 280 Ack (they did the install on my action as well). In fact, tomorrow I'm hoping to take it out for it's first firing. I haven't even broken in the barrel yet.

SO, long story short, I didn't spend anywhere near 3-4k on that build, and I did it over 3 or 4 years. I also did all the work myself (not much to it really) except for the barrel installation. I do feel it's very capable to 6-700 yards.

Good luck!
I'm looking at sending my gun in to pac nor for a rebarrel what was your lead time? Also how do you like it now that they worked on it?

if you are most familiar with the Remington 700 and tend to like the .284 to .300 caliber, just go the easy way, factory Remington Stainless Steel 24" barrel, my pick a 300WBY but they do not chamber it anymore, so a 300 Win Mag an all aorund 600-700 range best choice, scoped with a 6x24x40 and make some substantial accuracy improvements if required

I'm looking at sending my gun in to pac nor for a rebarrel what was your lead time? Also how do you like it now that they worked on it?

I think their web site says 8-10 weeks.

From the time I ordered it, probably about 1.5 weeks after that I sent them my barreled action…and I got the barrel back and installed. Total elapsed time from clicking "ORDER" on their web site to getting back in my hands completed couldn't have been much more than 6 weeks. I got it back late November this year, so I don't know if business is slower during hunting seasons, but I thought they were very fast.

It turned out great! I had even sent them dummy rounds to custom cut the throat to Berger bullets.

the no click carry gun was mine. Sent you a PM

For what you want, lot of the big magnums are overkill and expensive as hell to shoot and kick is worse unless you brake them and wear ear muffs while hunting. Some will disagree but been that route all the way to 338-408 so have more than a little experience with what you are looking for.

No way I would buy a new gun to tear apart. Waste of money. Plus even over time you lose track of the true costs and end up putting more in that doing it right the first time. Been there, done that.

You can easily build a quality gun for low $2k with a trued action and $3k max for custom action. My turnaround on last two builds was 3 weeks door to door and $650 at the smith to include shipping and insurance. sent you the details.

Buy your own parts and reamer first as you will want to rebarrel with the same reamer down the road and if not can always sell it. Get all in hand before sending anything to the smith. Look for the deals here and other places on someone want to get rid of an extra stock or barrel at a good price. Takes some time but very cost effective. Now that budget will get blown if you just have to have the $1000 stock and $400 base and ring set due to the tactical cool names.

I would build one instead of buy if I were trying to get into long range shooting. The barrel is the heart of any rifle and factory barrels are universally crap so replacing the barrel is almost required for any factory rifle if you're serious about long range shooting. Buying an entire rifle to start parting it out gets expensive, especially when you start replacing the stock too.

Buds gun shop has remington 700 stainless actions for $400, one of those plus $350 for a bartlein barrel and you're off to a good start. You've got to add in trigger, bottom metal, scope, mounts, stock, etc. plus gunsmith fees but that's about the cheapest way into a good quality long range rig.

First off do you have any rifles in the safe for a donor action? Preferably r700.

If not... here is what I did:

Stiller predator action. Figured this was better than an over worked 700 w/ ptg bolt.
McMillan stock
Jewel trigger
bartlein barrel
ptg bottom metal and wyatt box
Roughtly a little over 2k in parts+ smith+ Scope... about a 10lb rig
This will put you under your 4k budget depending on scope needs/wants.

You can easily save on the stock buying used, or any part for that matter. I went w/ the proven 300wm, has plenty of long range capability and the recoil is manageable in my opinion esp w/ the wide variety of bullets available. I don't mind the recoil from the 215's but you can always shoot lighter.

I liked this b/c I was able to build to my specs, but if there were one in the classifieds I would've been all over it. For example I went w/ a light palma 25" w/ an inch shorter tang. I also wanted the palma for the 1.25" diameter tang.

My first light weight factory hunting rifle, which was Sub MOA was a Browning Mountain Ti 300 WSM, with a Huskemaw Blue Diamond Series 5-20x50. Purchase price for the rifle scope combo was $3,099.00. Total weight 7 lbs. 2 oz.

If you decide to go factory that setup would be a definite contender to suit your stated needs. :)

So my question is what do you guys with a lot more knowledge and experience than I have recommend…

(1) go the custom build route or
(2) buy factory and make some substantial accuracy improvements accordingly?

Either option, I would like to stay under $3k to $4k total package with scope included.

IIWY, I'd go with a similar route (full custom) like ...

First off do you have any rifles in the safe for a donor action? Preferably r700.

If not... here is what I did:

Stiller predator action. Figured this was better than an over worked 700 w/ ptg bolt.
McMillan stock
Jewel trigger
bartlein barrel
ptg bottom metal and wyatt box
Roughtly a little over 2k in parts+ smith+ Scope... about a 10lb rig
This will put you under your 4k budget depending on scope needs/wants.

I'm in parts acquisition stage at the moment and will be using Bighorn SR2 LA. More than like Lilja barrel, McM stock, Jewell or Timney Elite, not sure of DBM yet ... and it will be Eliteiron suppressed. :)

Mine will exceed your set budget because of the other options I want.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts