Should I bed? B&C M40 with Al Block

CGWVU

Formerly 'Colson Glover'
Hi all,

I have a rem 700 lr in 300 wm with the factory m40 stock. I haven't been impressed with with the accuracy as I'm getting around 1.25 moa at 100 yds. My question is, should I bed the rifle even though the stock has an Al bedding block. The recoil lug area is huge on the stock and it looks like there is some unusual wear on the tang and back of recoil lug. Would this help my accuracy? I've already replaced the trigger. I've never needed a rifle but I feel like with some pointers I could get it done. Thoughts? Should I just replace the stock with an H and S precision or save the money for a better barrel?

Attachments

• D85708B2-3395-45ED-BC5B-626167C8B2BC.jpeg
    D85708B2-3395-45ED-BC5B-626167C8B2BC.jpeg
    124.7 KB · Views: 172
At a min usually with these bedding the recoil lug stops the movement, the lug rarely seats square and without the recoil lug locked in bedding there will be movement which is the wear marks your seeing. Then put a barrel in it, I rebarrel about half of these.

Hi all,

I have a rem 700 lr in 300 wm with the factory m40 stock. I haven't been impressed with with the accuracy as I'm getting around 1.25 moa at 100 yds. My question is, should I bed the rifle even though the stock has an Al bedding block. The recoil lug area is huge on the stock and it looks like there is some unusual wear on the tang and back of recoil lug. Would this help my accuracy? I've already replaced the trigger. I've never needed a rifle but I feel like with some pointers I could get it done. Thoughts? Should I just replace the stock with an H and S precision or save the money for a better barrel?
*bedded not needed

I bedded mine, 700 LR .25-06. Recoil lug was a sloppy fit. Was a 1 moa gun at best and now clover leafs like this is not unusual. Stock trigger was horrible, even after attempts to tune it. Bedding picture is as cast, before clean up.

Attachments

• 20191208_123557.jpg
    20191208_123557.jpg
    711.8 KB · Views: 185
  • 20191129_203521.jpg
    20191129_203521.jpg
    951.7 KB · Views: 168
Your accuracy is sub par and the bedding blocks are not made to anywhere near tight enough tolerances to do the job right. My bet is you will easily cut your group size in half, likely even better than that. For sure it won't get worse. If you like the fit and feel of the stock there is nothing wrong with the factory one on the M40 once it is properly bedded..

I bedded mine, 700 LR .25-06. Recoil lug was a sloppy fit. Was a 1 moa gun at best and now clover leafs like this is not unusual. Stock trigger was horrible, even after attempts to tune it. Bedding picture is as cast, before clean up.
Wow awesome! When you bedded did you remove any of the stock around the sides of the action for the epoxy?

I have bedded a bunch of these and they shot very well. I don't see a need for the washers, but that is just me. I try to skim coat and don't want to make new action screws. As BG said, front recoil lug is the important part. Now you have to decide how you tape it up :)

Bedding is an easy and affordable DIY project as you have probably seen in the other thread. I would try different ammo too. Eliminate all the affordable variables first before you start diving into more expensive upgrades like a stock and barrel. I think in the long run you will be happier with a new stock anyways as B&C leaves a bit to be desired.

Wow awesome! When you bedded did you remove any of the stock around the sides of the action for the epoxy?

No, I bedded the front and rear of the action. I check the sides and remove any pressure points. Some might call it 'skim bedding'. I call it filling in the holes. I put 4 layers of masking tape on the bottom of the lug and two on each side and the front face of the lug. I finger tighten the action screws then wrap with electrical tape to keep the action seated in the stock, then I back the screws off. I use jb weld gel on most rifles. Johnsons paste wax works good for release agent.

If you tape anything other than the bottom of the recoil lug you just defeated the purpose of bedding the lug in the first place.
Spot on!!!

The more closely you can make the stock and action into one solid piece with no opportunities for the action to move or twist in the stock the better the overall result you will get.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.