Bed a B&C Medalist stock?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by mtelkhntr78, Jul 15, 2011.

1. mtelkhntr78

mtelkhntr78 Well-Known Member

I just got a synthetic stock for my Win Mod 70 300 WSM. It is Bell and Carlson Medalist. I like it and the fit and finish are very nice.

I was wondering if I should bed the action. B&C says "not necessary" because of the aluminum bedding block built into the stock. I have heard many other say regardless of the Aluminum block bedding the action is needed and will help.

So the question is should or shouldn't I bed the rifle?

Thanks in advance.

2. 7mm Wsm

7mm Wsm Active Member

Hello from Austria/Europe!!!
    I bedded mine. I have a Borden Action in a B&C Medallist Stock. I milled a couple of Material on the side off but i leaved it on the bottom. The fitting was not 100% before but now its great. I also bedded the Recoil lug and the first 50mm from the Barrel. I`ve bedded it with Devcon!! Good to work with!! Cant say if it is shooting better now because i am still waiting on a new March Scope!! I will Post again when it arrives and i have shot a couple of groups!!

3. tpbscha

tpbscha Well-Known Member

Same here, the B&C probably is a better fit than a factory stock, but still does not campare to a true bedding job with Devcon.

4. Dr. Vette

Dr. Vette Well-Known Member

5. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

I agree with everyone else ,Bed It.

I have never seen bedding hurt accuracy if installed correctly.

I use a threaded pillar in stocks with a bedding block and they work well (Thread the existing pillar
    in the block and install the threaded pillar with a flange on both sides if nessary).

I have also used washers with good results on Bedding blocks that were short and do not contact
    the action or bottom metal.

I have not tried the Accu Risers but they look like they will work.

J E CUSTOM

6. mtelkhntr78

mtelkhntr78 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input! It looks like I need to bed that gun. I may try those accu-risers, they seems to be what I need to get it right.

Any other advice on what I should look out for? I have Pillar bedded two other guns so I am familiar with the process. Any hints, tips, advice?

Thanks!