Shot placement on elk!

Being an elk hunter in the Bitterroots of Montana for all of my life I have been blessed to take many elk. I have raised my children on the best of organic wild meat and shot placement really does make a difference in how much meat makes it to the freezer. A couple of blood shot front quarters can cost you a bit in time to clean it up and also loss due to being blood shot. If you shoot it too high against the back bone you can ruin a bit a back strap, which will cost you some mighty fine steaks.

When you get right down to it, you take the shot you can get. Elk always appear when you least expect it and you may be shooting in poor light, a long distance, the animal may be standing turned toward or away from you or there might be brush covering the ideal shot placement. The best shot is the one you can make. We do try to operate on the one shot one kill theory. Filling a dieing critter full of holes just to make it drop is not always the best action. An elk with a through and through hole in its lungs can travel a long ways if chased, but if you take a break from the chase and just sit down and be quiet for 20 or 30 min, more often than not you will find the elk either dead or dying within 100 yards of where you made the kill shot. Get the shot right and take out the heart and the critter just will not go far at all.

This last year, I was out hunting elk with my 16 year old son. We were walking up a steep ridge, myself in the lead, when we spooked a group of elk that were bedded down in the brush to our left. The elk broke but being uncertain of our positions crossed the trail up-hill from us about 50 yards. I asked my son if he was going to shoot one as I fell to the ground so as not to obstruct his shot with the back of my head. As one stopped to look down toward us I heard the 30-06 blast over my head. "Did you get it? Did you get it?" I shouted over the ringing in my ears. I don't know dad....I just had a moment to shoot and all I could see was the neck and head. We walked up the trail and found the elk dead and bleeding out from the shot through the neck at the base of the skull. The practice on the range at close distances paid off and the boy filled the freezer for another season.

Very well put! I don't know how many elk I've seen that needed just a couple more seconds, they are wobbling and the oil pressure is crashing and then someone whips another one at it, it's like it kicks em into high gear. Also been standing there waiting for the second shot while they top the ridge :rolleyes:

I used to cut game professionally and the average loss of meat to a solid front shoulder shot is 16 lbs per quarter hit on and average MT elk which dresses 250 lbs on the rail, the last one I weighted was hit 3 times in the front end with a 7mag with zero penetration and it cost close to 40 lbs. That a lot of hamburger meat, or one good batch of Salami :D

I like the advise of shoot him till he is down and stays down. They can go for a while and where they go is not usually the best place for you to go.
Shoot to break bones like shoulders and make sure you have enough bullet to do the job.. a 180 AB is good I say 200 AB is better and like he said dont stop shooting till they are on the ground they can go further on 3 legs in chest deep snow in 20 minutes than i care to go in a week

If a broadside shot presents itself IMHO you should be shooting for the lungs. Breaking down an elk with a shoulder shot is risky as they are a big, strong animal and capable of going a long ways while wounded. The farthest I have ever had to track an elk that I lung shot was about 200 yards.

Shoot straight and good luck on your upcoming hunt.

Perfect shots don't always happen as everyone knows so make sure you have a big enough gun and use bullets That are heavy enough and retain weight well enough to be sure you can break shoulder bones and its not neraly as risky as using something like a Berger bullet. That in my opinion is truly risky. Remember elk are tough And sometime crap goes wrong so be sure you shoot a bullet That can anchor an elk weighed its broad side. Facing you or running away. I have killed a lot of elk and I assure you bullet selection is far more important than bullet placement.

The high shoulder works really well but shoot a bullet that will hang together.I like the Berger vld over h4831 s.c

It's all good advice if you know where to place the shot on a moose the same spot will work on elk . I will take the high shoulder shuts down the ability to move. But you need to use the proper bullet on elk accubond wouldn't be my first choice.despite the hype most elk killed 300 yds and under.and the cartridges are really a mixed batch. Good luck and good shooting.

Great advice from everyone. The bowsite recommended by Dr. Vette is an outstanding source of information and is constantly updated. Having harvested a fair share of elk and other big game the advice about proper bullet choice is the most critical. The best shot placement as indicated by others isn't always available.

Therefore practicing in the field with the rifle and load you hunt with does wonders for the moment when an elk appears. I reload and spent allot of time out in the field shooting from odd positions and angles at close and long range to simulate hunting conditions. I wear the gear I use while hunting including carrying a pack. This makes for some physically exhausting shooting sessions.

I prefer to place my shots when possible behind the shoulder and bicep 2/3rds up from the point of the elbow at the brisket. This permits maximum bullet penetration and traumatic shock effect to surrounding lungs and the heart. They don't go very far and in most cases are DRT. But I've had to take more snap shoots than I like. I've been fortunate to have recovered those animals. Knowing I made a clean killing shot allows me to wait out the animal.

Bow hunting teaches the hunter to be patient and let the slicing effect of the broadhead to bleed out the animal. They generally cover less than a 100yds and then lay down and die.

The photo is a calf elk I shot at 168yds uphill offhand. 168gr Barnes TTSX, 300WM. I could only see it's head an a little of it's neck. I placed my reticle under the chin aiming at the throat. At the shot it dropped in it's tracks.

Gonzo
SEMPER FIDELIS

Attachments

• Calf 168yds offhand.jpg
    Calf 168yds offhand.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 146
I have never been on an elk hunt and we are planning on going on a trip to the badlands of north dakota and other than getting in good physical shape and practicing with my rifle i'm not sure of what i might expect . My brother has been out there many times for mule deer and tells me it can get rough . We will be guided every day. I am shooting a ruger m77 in 30.06 with a 3x9 scope . I have hunted whitetail for years and am no novice but this is a bigger animal and bigger land can any one offer some advice

Bohunk100

I have used the 30-06 Springfield with great success. For elk I have used Barnes 168 gr. TSX/TTSX, Hornady 165gr Interbonds, and 165gr Nosler Accubonds. They all worked well. I prefer the Barnes bullets. But they are getting expensive. Therefore, Hornady and Nosler have worked in the past so some range time will determine the best accuracy in my rifles. Shot placement is the key. Practice out to 500yds and you'll be OK.
In most cases you can close the distance if you take advantage of cover and the WIND.

Get to a high spot and don't shilouette yourself. Glass as much country as you can, study your maps and take advantage of any cover available.

Gonzo
SEMPER FIDELISlightbulb

You will have some hard hunting as those Badlands aren't called that for nothing! I use the Interbonds in my 30-06s for elk and they definitely do the job. However, I don't believe anyone should be shooting a bull at 500 yards with that caliber. I would limit it to about 350 if it were me.

You will have some hard hunting as those Badlands aren't called that for nothing! I use the Interbonds in my 30-06s for elk and they definitely do the job. However, I don't believe anyone should be shooting a bull at 500 yards with that caliber. I would limit it to about 350 if it were me.

500 yrds is not an issue if you can wait for the shot and make it! I prefer 180gr+ bullets for the elk in the 30 cal's. Tuck a 180gr bullet behind the shoulder and they don't last long, most spin and drop within a few yrds.

I don't have the stats for the 30-06 180 grainers, but the 165 grain Interbond Factory ammo drops 46.2" at 500 yards with a 200 yard zero and has dropped to a velocity of 1870fps and is down to 1281 ft./lbs. of energy at that distance. I'm of the old school that it's best to have 1500 ft./lbs of energy on a bull elk at POI and that's why I made that statement, not the fact that he can't be hit at that distance. I think most guides and outfitters would not want a person shooting at a bull that far with a 30-06 and would want them using a heavier caliber for a little bit better insurance that bull won't be lost on that long of a shot. JMO from 57 years of hunting!

The 06 has put a lot of meat in the freezer. But know your limits, although it's been used in 1000 yd matches the energy is what your main concern is. If you have been the barnes bullet don't let price enter into it a guided hunt maybe a once in a life bull .what the he'll does the price bullets do with it.geter done.good luck and good hunting 1300 meters.

Here is a Link to a Page on Shot Placement with Graphics.....

shot placement

One piece of advice i'd offer is that if its near dark and you have a close shot at a cow elk (150-200 yards) that is near the tree-line and can run into the timber after getting shot.... consider a head/neck shot.

I shot a cow elk at the end of shooting light (last 30 minutes) and punched it through both shoulders with a 200 grn Nosler Accubond... she reared up on her hind legs, and i just knew she was going to drop.... No, she ran about
200 yards!! Looked for 20 minutes in the dark, and had to recover her the next morning... cow was hit Solid through both shoulders.

Wish I had done a Head/Neck shot in that situation, I had a good rest. And if you are going to shoot for the vitals area... shoot, rack your bolt, find the elk in the scope and shoot a second shot if possible...

It would be a good idea to practice this at the Shooting Range. Shooting the first shot at a target, rack your bolt, and fire a second shot hitting the target Without Breaking your cheek- weld to the stock and looking through the scope. Do this from field positions... prone, sitting, and kneeling with shooting sticks.

This type of practice of putting two shots on Target, Quickly, will SAVE you alot of grief and tracking time!!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.