Daughters first elk..Amazing Shot

Wyofax

So there is nothing like taking your kids hunting. We hunted 4 days and were in on bulls everyday but just couldnt close the deal. We had bulls at 50 yards on two different occasions but had no shot for various reasons.

I kept telling her that we would eventually get a setup that worked since we were seeing so many bulls. I told her that we would be able to set her up and shoot 500 and if conditions were right maybe out to 600 yards.

So on the 4th day her mother finds two bulls sparring up on a hill. We look them over and one of them is a 6X6, the other is a 5X5. She is set on getting an elk bigger than her moms so we have to make sure it is roughly 250" or bigger.

With that determined I set the gun on a big flat rock and range the hill at 845. I had packed a shooting bag with us and set that under the rear of the gun with the Harris bipod supporting the front. The wind is steady right to left at about 5-6 mph. I let he get in behind the gun and look through the scope and tell me if she can hold steady. She said it was really good, so I dialed the NF set at 22X to 14.25 MOA. The bull she is after climbs up the hill about 10 yards adding a few yards to the shot and finally turns broadside. At that time the wind picked up quite a bit so I told her to hold 3 minutes on the scope. She fired! Clean miss, and both bulls take a couple of steps and stop looking around.

This little girl is left eye dominant so she shoots left handed. She reaches over the scope and works the bolt and gets right back on the bull. The wind dies down to where it was and I tell her to hold 2 minutes. She sends the second round into this bull at ~850. He folds up, takes about 3 full cartwheels hits a snowy patch and toboggans behind some trees. What an increadible feeling!!!

She stands up with a couple happy tears and legs that don't work quite right. Adrenalin is flowing for both of us but I decide to pack the gun for a while until she can get her feet under her again.

Shot placement was right behind the shoulder just under the spine and took out the top of his lungs. Best shot I have ever been a part of. It doesn't get any better than that.

The poor photo of the live elk is just before she shot. Mom was running a telephoto lens while I was running Shooter app and spotting. The pic of the gun is the setup of the rifle just after her shot.

Attachments

• IMG_7413.jpg
    IMG_7413.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_7383.jpg
    IMG_7383.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_7398.JPG
    IMG_7398.JPG
    271.6 KB · Views: 284
What a wonderful experience to score such a fine animal as a family! Her pride shows in the photo. Congrats!

She stands up with a couple happy tears and legs that don't work quite right.

Now that's what I'm talking about!!!!:D:D:D:D
So many young hunters have the skill yet so few have experienced this!

Congrats to the whole family especially the young LR huntress!!

Congrats to her and to you! That was an experience that all involved will remember for their entire lives. Good work, and thanks for sharing.

Curious what specs on gun used?

Rem 700 LA BDL trued
.264 Win Mag
McMillan A3-5 stock
Lilja barrel
Factory trigger tuned to 2 lbs
Night Force 20 MOA rail
NF rings
NF 5.5-22X50 NSX with w/ gunwerks reticle
Harris bipod S 6-9"
140 Bergers

We have put down 5 animals this fall with this combo, 4 different species ( moose, 2 antelope, mule deer and this elk) the moose was at 266 yards but the others where all between 510-580.

Andy

This young lady is amazing. Two years ago she put her tag on a record book antelope. It was her first big game animal and a dandy, but what is totally amazing is that 4 years ago she was diagnosed with Celiac disease. In the process of that medical report doctors found a heart murmur. Within three weeks she was at Children's hospital have heart surgery.

Today God has blessed her with strength both physically and mentally to handle anything and everything that is handed to her.

She is a true blessing and a gift from Jesus.