Shot Placement and Distance

I do have confidence in my shooting skills and rifle.

comes out at 400-500 yards and the conditions are perfect AND I am calm haha then I might go to those distances.

Anyways, on a quartering towards shot...any worries with a 165 grain core lokt psp going through the leading shoulder with shots under 300 yards?

If you are confident in this shot and have the practice to back up your decision go for it....no matter if it is the buck of a life time or not. If you can make this shot and the situation indicates the same, take it!

Yes the 165gr will work on a quartering shot under 300.

One of my best hunting stories that I tell people was a spring bear hunt about 2002.
I was on an upper rim watching the south facing slope of a logged area that was returning to the brushy grassy state. After about an hour of glassing with my binos (I can't afford good glass) I saw a shiny coat jet black bear about 850 yards down the draw.
I watched for a few minutes and could see the movement of the bear, but not much since it was in the middle of a new aspen patch. I loaded up all my junk and decided to move around the area to make sure I wasn't winded.
It took me about two hours to work my way to the point I wanted to be to shoot this shiny bear, because I would constantly find an area to peak at it to make sure it didn't move. Yup, still there. Perfect.
I got my 10X50 leupold binos out to get a good look at the bear, I thought to myself that this bear is so black and shiny it will make a beutiful rug.
Knowing the bear had no idea I was around I decided just to watch the animal for a few minutes and admire the trophy that soon would be mine.
I made all kinds of plans to make sure I could get this beast out of this hell hole and settled in for the final act.
As I aimed my Ruger #1 at the bear I could not figure out which end was which so I decided to get even closer so as not to make a terrible mistake and shoot the wrong end.
I worked my way to about 40 yards making sure my wind was good and I made no noise and the bear was still in the same spot.
Now I was using my rifle scope to check out the bear and noticed a strange"line" on the bears hide. I really started paying attention to what I whas looking at and figured out I had been hunting a large black plastic leaf bag for about 3 hours. I shot it anyway.

Just joking, I did not shoot the bag but had a wonderful walk out of the hole from hell.

One of my best hunting stories that I tell people was a spring bear hunt about 2002.
I was on an upper rim watching the south facing slope of a logged area that was returning to the brushy grassy state. After about an hour of glassing with my binos (I can't afford good glass) I saw a shiny coat jet black bear about 850 yards down the draw.
I watched for a few minutes and could see the movement of the bear, but not much since it was in the middle of a new aspen patch. I loaded up all my junk and decided to move around the area to make sure I wasn't winded.
It took me about two hours to work my way to the point I wanted to be to shoot this shiny bear, because I would constantly find an area to peak at it to make sure it didn't move. Yup, still there. Perfect.
I got my 10X50 leupold binos out to get a good look at the bear, I thought to myself that this bear is so black and shiny it will make a beutiful rug.
Knowing the bear had no idea I was around I decided just to watch the animal for a few minutes and admire the trophy that soon would be mine.
I made all kinds of plans to make sure I could get this beast out of this hell hole and settled in for the final act.
As I aimed my Ruger #1 at the bear I could not figure out which end was which so I decided to get even closer so as not to make a terrible mistake and shoot the wrong end.
I worked my way to about 40 yards making sure my wind was good and I made no noise and the bear was still in the same spot.
Now I was using my rifle scope to check out the bear and noticed a strange"line" on the bears hide. I really started paying attention to what I whas looking at and figured out I had been hunting a large black plastic leaf bag for about 3 hours. I shot it anyway.

Just joking, I did not shoot the bag but had a wonderful walk out of the hole from hell.

haha, that is too funny. The only story I have like that was 2 years ago. I was in my stand when I heard a buck grunting a doe about 50 yards away from me on the other side of this tiny hill which may have been as high as my tree stand. i saw him walk down there but didnt get a real good look at him and had no chance to shoot him. I could hear them down there. The doe was bleating and he was grunting. Well after 2 hrs of trying to grunt/bleat him to me I decided he was on lock down with the doe so id get down and try stalking him (figuring he bedded there with the doe). I made my way about 75 yards around him which took me an 1.5hours so he wouldnt hear me. By the way it is freezing out AND I took my boots off so i could be a bit quieter. Anyways I finally get around to where I heard them last and nothing. I looked EVERYWHERE. I start getting a bit sad but owell they must have walked off. Well now I start walking out not really caring if I was slightly noisy, towards my father-in-laws house. After 5 steps the BIGGEST BUCK i have seen to date in person, jumps out from behind a small bush that I would have never thought the deer would be bedded down (i mean he must have been curled up or something). This bush was literally 5 feet away from me. HE SCARED THE **** out of me lol. Needless to say he ran much faster than I could recover from crapping my pants let alone trying to get my gun up on him. lol. He was a really nice buck for upstate new york, maybe 140's NET. When i think about it, a part of me is ****ed I missed such a nice buck, but a part of me laughs at how scared I was when this buck jumped out.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.