SHOT PLACEMENT

Dennis_in_VA

I know we should all wait for a good broadside or quartering away shot on game animals so don't thrash me too much for asking what I'm about to.
How do all you think a straight on or going away (aka Texas Heart Shot) shot on an Elk would be with the .338 / 300 gr SMK at extended ranges (past 500 yds)?
I am just curious to see if there might be anyone here that has witnessed such a shot and how the bullet performed along with the animals reaction.

I'd never consider a Tx Heart shot on an elk,....unless it was fairly close no farther than 300yds and that specific chance would be the only and final opportunity, it was a 400+ bull and.....someone else was going to field dress the thing. I don't think that sufficient penetration would be a problem especially if none of the pelvic or leg bones were hit.

Given the above conditions I'd have to pass on that rear shot......

A front on shot would be more reasonable IMO, but would still make a mess out of the field dressing part with that bullet and cartridge.

Id take it in the front, but not low Id go a lil higher at the base of the neck.

From the rear if I was positioned above him Id go for the spine....If hes going dead away Id wait on at least a partial quartering shot or pass on it. And Id make **** sure may range was right! High or low from the rear could be messy.

Pass on the shot,at long range to many things can happen,mainly a bad hit and a crippled animal.If its hit already take the shot.Many times a good blow on the cow will get them to turn around and look at you,giving you alot better shot.

I agree to pass on the shot. Long range has too many variables to be certain of exact bullet placement and bullet performance. Front or rear shots have very little error and can easily wound. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I would have to pass, as an Elk or other Big game animals deserve more respect then to take any questionable shots at. Thats just my opinion!

Is this about respect for the animal, or self control on if you can or cannot you make the shot?

Straight on he signed his death warrant!

From behind probably pass, and wait! he'll give up those vitals if he doesnt...life goes on.

We can jibber jabber about ethics, respect for the animal
Whats that anyway first legal bull you see you wanna put a bullet in...Respect? Respect is what you earn when you dont take a shot your not comfortable with! and what your buddies give you when you turn his lights off at 600yds!

All other conditions are meaningless, the question remains CAN YOU OR CAN'T YOU MAKE THE SHOT?

[ QUOTE ]
Is this about respect for the animal, or self control on if you can or cannot you make the shot?

Straight on he signed his death warrant!

From behind probably pass, and wait! he'll give up those vitals if he doesnt...life goes on.

We can jibber jabber about ethics, respect for the animal
Whats that anyway first legal bull you see you wanna put a bullet in...Respect? Respect is what you earn when you dont take a shot your not comfortable with! and what your buddies give you when you turn his lights off at 600yds!

All other conditions are meaningless, the question remains CAN YOU OR CAN'T YOU MAKE THE SHOT?

[/ QUOTE ]

+1

hmmm....chance wounding him/never finding him in the black timber he's surley headed into, or wait for a better shot...

WHY chance it....all that delicious meat...potentially reuined...

give him a toot on your cow call...let him turn and wack him with a high shoulder shot...LIGHTS OUT! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

i witnessed a shot similar to a texas while i was young and vowed never to chance it...it was ugly...

we were busy helping dad pack the ponies with a bull that he had taken earlier in the day when we heard a bugle not to far off. i didnt have a tag as i was too young and had missed seeing dad take his so off i went with this friend of my dads...hoping to see my first bull kill...

a bull was following a couple of cows into a quakie patch on the far side of high mountain ravine and this guy decided to try the shot. rifle was an '06 not sure what bullet but if i had to guess...probably a 180 partition from what i noticed he was hunting with in some later hunts...shot angle was a 3/4...maybe a little more... quartering away shot and he let a bullet fly hitting the bull...not sure exactly where but DOWN he went!...hit him like a bolt of lightening...then he got back up...almost instatntly...ran down the ravine dragging one hind and back up the other side into some HAIRY timber. we got close to him a couple of times but not close enough. we waited and waited for him to lay down but he NO intent of letting up...some friends of ours found the carcass the next spring while running cattle...nearly FOUR MILES from where we had last heard him /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif...too bad...it was a really nice 5x5...

Elk are tough critters...break em where it COUNTS THE FIRST TIME!

You do not have any clue what respect is! Anti-gunners just wait for @#@##$"s like you to mouth off so they have more ammo. Every one of God's creatures deserve our utmost respect. You, I'm not so sure of. If a hunter is not 100% sure of a clean kill, PASS ON THE SHOT!!!

seems to me thats what nyles said if you have the confidents to make the kill (shot)then take it. We don't empose personal ethics on others here yours are yours mine are mine

alhshooter338

Let me help you with these two posts:

Post #1:

[ QUOTE ]
"Sounds like another out of state yahoo that thinks shooting is hunting. PASS ON THE SHOT!"

[/ QUOTE ]

You seem to have a few "noise" words in there... they're wasted and contribute little. Here's how I'd edit that post.

"PASS ON THE SHOT!"

Post #2

[ QUOTE ]
"You do not have any clue what respect is! Anti-gunners just wait for @#@##$"s like you to mouth off so they have more ammo. Every one of God's creatures deserve our utmost respect. You, I'm not so sure of. If a hunter is not 100% sure of a clean kill, PASS ON THE SHOT!!! "

[/ QUOTE ]

Again lots of noise works... they add little to the exchange of useful information:

Here's an edited version.

"Every one of God's creatures deserve our utmost respect. If a hunter is not 100% sure of a clean kill, PASS ON THE SHOT!!!"

Being you just joined and these seem to be your first two post I'd guess you skipped over the rules section. I'd suggest you re-read the site rules and abide by them. If after you have read the site rules you still feel a need to post in the manner of your initial two posts you are welcome to leave at this time without further posts.

Thanks and Welcome to LRH.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.