shot placement

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by ven, Sep 7, 2007.

1. ven

ven Well-Known Member

where would you place your shot on a broardside animal .i have recently stopped shooting for the lungs as i have had to spend a long tiome looking for my deer as they always run .would a shoulder shot be a better option.thanks

2. mikenc

mikenc Well-Known Member

Shoulder shots seem to work for me. Not many animals run without front legs. I also like to shoot just behind the shoulder in the lower 1/3 of the animals body. Certainly as far forward on the animal as possible.

3. edge

edge Well-Known Member

On a whitetail standing broadside follow the leg to the body intersection and hit 4-6 inches up that line. Head drops and they run in a straight line 20 to 50 yards max.

edge.

PS most people shoot too far back on a whitetail and hit the back third of the lungs and sometimes only liver which leads to long tracking times.

http://www.whitetails.com/deer_info/graphics/anatomyanimation.gif

4. tjbill

tjbill Well-Known Member

I like to place my shot right in the rear crease between the shoulder and the body. If the shot goes a little back it still center-punches the lungs and if it goes a little forward it breaks the shoulder. Keep in mind that deer a very rarely perfectly broadside and in this case I try to stay as close to this shot as possible while breaking the back shoulder. If you decide to start busting shoulders every time, make sure you are using a well suited bullet.

5. ven

ven Well-Known Member

thanks for the replys think i will use the shoulder shot more often for my long range shots .

6. Rimfire

Rimfire Well-Known Member

For long range always the HIGH shoulder straight up from the leg. You have the top of the lung then the plate at the spine, quickest way to flip the off switch. A high shot still takes out spine. Its a safe long range spot.